Turrets: Things to lookout for...

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This game is terminally addictive and the latest builds have lead to some wicked combinations. This is a quick observation of the effects of weapons and turrets that ship builders should be aware of.

Moderators/admins feel free to move this post to the appropriate section.

- Missiles: If a turret fires a missile and hits another docked turret or its parent ship, it will damage itself and all other docked turrets/ships within its blast radius. Example; I tend to make very powerful missiles and I actually lost 4 turrets and 2 fighters when a missile turret fired a single missile that impacted my ship's hull. Also the blast effect of a missile will ignore the shields/hull of a carrier/transport type ship and destroy any fighters/drones in your bays. It can even kill you if you are in astronaut mode. This makes building a carrier tricky and makes 'Dave and his crew' VERY easy to kill. Heat seeking missiles are currently ineffective... There is still no way to predict what target they'll chase and that's a huge friendly fire risk. Proximity targeting would be a better option for these weapons but we'll have to wait and see what Schema and his team comes up with.

- Beam weapons: A great idea but needs work. They draw very little power, have abysmally short range compared to other weapons and do not hit quite where you aim them. Beams on a turret damage anything in their line of fire; including the parent ship. Your enemy really doesn't need to waste ammunition on you if you're constantly shooting laser beams at yourself. If you make a long ranged cannon-based turret (cannons with a slaved beam system), I've noticed that the Bobby AI will disregard linked weapon combinations. For example; I made a large triple barreled cannon-based turret that uses beam modules to give it a 2000m range. When I turn on the AI module, it will fire the beams separately from the cannon; knocking the range from 2000m down to 500m and also doing damage to my ship and its other turrets. Apparently the AI still needs a little work in this regard.

Disintegrators still don't damage shields, which is sad because I can think of some down right evil things that can be done with them.

As it stands now, cannons are the only safe weapon to use on turrets, as they do not inflict damage on your ship or docked items. The down side is your max range on turrets is limited to 1000m. Not bad, but I miss the old days of creating a 2000m+ area denial weapon that zaps people before they know what hit them.

All in all, this is a hell of a game, even in its alpha stages. I look forward to the finished product.

Reaction score
    Damage pulse also damages the parent ship. I had a ship that I mastered D1000, Slave Damage pulse, and Ion effect on a turret. For a while the weapon was fine until my ship was destroyed. When I saw the wreckage of the ship I initially thought I was hit by a doomsday weapon. Then I realized that my damage pulses destroyed my own ship.

Reaction score
    Um op disinagrateors can kill shields make a ball god mode then ram a ship over and over you will kill the shields and ship