Turrets shooting turrets

Reaction score
    So, just wanted to know if this was normal. I know that the bug with regard to a turret docked to a ship used to do damage to the ship is was docked too. That seems to be fixed, however mine are regularly shooting each other (two turrets set up side by side shoot each other when the target is in line with them) even though they are both docked to the same ship (aka they are friendly). So constantly replacing turrets on one of my ships due to this...and getting ready to add a dividing wall. It is on a Corellian Corvette I designed...so I had hoped not to modify it too much just to get this to work. Would like it to still look like one. :)

Anyone else have this problem?

Reaction score
    Currently the AI will target and engage an enemy regardless if line of sight is obtained.
    If you have a turret docked to a station, the turret will engage the enemy through the station. While (guided) missiles will still engage and hit cannon types (beams and cannons) will engage but hit the docked structure.

Reaction score
    There seems to be some confusion as to whether they will harm the ship they are attached too. I have read a few other places that say it does not do damage.

However, always the optimist, how about we assume that they don't do damage (or that eventually they won't...or that they at least don't do much beyond depleting the shields a little prematurly). Would placing a baffle, made from the ship, between the offending turrets that are shooting each other, keep them from doing so one way or another (either from providing a shielded barrier, or from tricking the turret not to shoot through it)? And if that is the case...who wants these ugly baffles between turrets messting up the sleek lines of your ship? How does the system accomidate plex doors with regard to shielding and damage? Do they need to be open to be damaged or have a shield effect, or are they protected when "down"? If they still exist even when invisible (aka can be shot) and allow people through, then could doors that are "down" serve as the baffles?

Lot of "ifs" here I know, but I have not been able to successfully test this properly and wondered if the work had already been done.

Thanks

Reactions: jayman38

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's an interesting idea to be able to use "open" plexdoors as invisible barriers. I'm intrigued.

However, I think the real fix needs to be a tree lookup, where the turrets can look up host structures as far up the tree as necessary (I still have faith that we might some day have modular ships, where a core module is linked to other modules, which themselves have modules, which have turrets), and get a list of all still-attached structures, to have the game engine avoid damage and let the beam/bullet/missile through to the other side of the friendly structure, allowing turrets to shoot through each other. Shooting through friendly turrets as if they were ghosts is not as realistic, but it would increase the fun factor and reduce the frustration factor. In my opinion, fun almost always trumps realism.

Reactions: Mikisew01
    Reaction score
    Using plexdoors as a barrier in idea sounds good but in practice I have seen that plexdoors absorb cannon and beam shots regardless if they are open or closed. Missiles tend to go through without a problem.
    Open plexdoors will not offer one way defense but instead offer a two way barrier to cannons and beams.

Reaction score
    The whole idea is for them to absorb it open or closed...or to fool the cannon into not shooting due to "ship" being in the way. The goal is to protect adjacent turrets...and make it look nice. Before this I was using glass barriers (not very noticible...but still ugly).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't like to abuse plex doors for this ...
    someone may accidentally fire a docking beam at them and you have this weird floating thing above your turret.

It also increases mass.

I would like turrets to charge up for all active projectiles and only drain energy if one expires out of range or hit an enemy ship, but drain no energy and do no damage and have low cool-down for this shot so you have a cost-free other projectile if your own ship or a docked entity got hit.
    Just compare the (parent.parent != null) dock entity.