Turret Strategy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    What kinds of weapons work best with turrets? If my ship is very large, what weapons should I NOT use with turrets? Is there any reason to place turrets in particular spots on my ship?

Reaction score
    First, you have to take your ship class and size into consideration. Smaller ships have greater turning speeds and accelerations. They need less turrets than a larger ship. Turrets with BB launchers are great for bombartment of an enemy stronghold. Large amounts of damage using relatively slow-moving weapons. Engaging fighters using BB missile arrays is really dumb. Most small fighters are considerably faster that your average missile arrays and will just evade any such attack. AMC cannons deal with this issue more efficiently. My rule is: slow target = missile arrays, faster target = AMC cannons. I bet a bunch of people have different viewpoints, so post away my fellow starmadians.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    My capital ships usually only have the minimum ammount of turrets needed to provide an ample field of fire. That usually means I have two very large turrets with plenty of well-powered AMCs and maybe some assorted missiles as well, placed on opposite sides of the ship.

Larger turrets with bigger weapons systems mean that their engagement range is longer and, should a smaller craft attempt to use it\'s mobility advantage and get behind you, all you have to do is switch to one of the turrets (Arrow keys) and proceed to use weapons comparable to your hull-mounted AMC arrays to melt it before it can react.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    How do you keep your missile turrets from blowing you up? I tried firing a dumbfire missile from a turret and even though it seemed clear it still blew a hole in my ship and knocked another turret into space.

My current design currently has 1 million e/sec, and is 6,000 blocks with the power, engines, and half the hull. I was aiming for 20,000 blocks or less so I can use a radar jammer. I was thinking that a 500 block antimatter cannon turret would work pretty well.to snipe from outside render range undetected. I\'m not sure what else I would use though.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    They can fire farther, deal more damage to capital ships, take less time to set up, and are cheaper in the long run.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Make sure there aren\'t any enemy nav points left, and stay clear of the front of the cannons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t get it. When I fired a dumbfire missile from one of my turrets it just blew up the side of my own ship. How could that happen then?

Also, do turrets require their own radar jammers or cloaking devices? Or do they use the parent ship\'s?

Reaction score
    For the first question: A missil

e can blow up anything but the object it got fired from. Therefore, if you fly into the missile, it will blow up.

Second: I don\'t think so but not sure

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    If you are going to have several very large deck turrets, I would recommend you depress them into the hull enough so that the core will be harder to hit from the sides and front but the gun barrels will still be able to fire over the hull.

Reaction score
    if i have a big ship i put one or two salvage beam turrets on just to make it easier to salvage without undocking another ship.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Thats a really good idea. Having your utilities built into a special turret means even less of your ship\'s features are reliant on your capability (or incapability) to turn.