Turret Rotation speed workaround

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have been building a large ship with many large rail docked entities and even though I had 4 times the mass limit of the turret in mass enhancers it was still taking around 10 minutes to rotate 180 degrees. There is at that point a pile of single rail basic docked entities which don't move but combined mass would have been close to 150k mass. So I assume that even though this is stationary that its some how applying to the turret rotation speed or its bugged somehow. Though the smaller mass doors slide open and close just fine.

I got around this so the 6k mass turret rotates very quick

Vertical rotation turret part
    with weapons and bobby AI​
    connected to
    Horizontal rotation turret part
    with enough mass enhancers to cover mass of vertical rotation turret part​
    connected to
    Fixed Base
    with enough mass enhancers for both previous parts.​
    connected to
    Main ship hull

This has fixed this turret rotation not sure what impact it has on the other main ship mounted railed entities speed though.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Well firstly; The use of a fixed base is kinda wasteful. Mass enhancers can be shared, so instead of 4 bases that have enhancers for 4 separate turrets, you can attach those turret directly to the main ship and should only need enough enhancers for 1.

As for the problem; you didnt mention power regen? Mass enhancers cost a flat rate of ~25 e/s each, so it can add up fast. If you dont have the regen to handle it, the enhancers would just stop working, so that may be a cause.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Also if you don't have enhancers on the turret base (i.e the part which rotates, not elevates) it'll slow down your rotation as well

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The shared mass enhancers on the main ship didn't seem to work.

I tried the main ship mass enhancers mass limit over 14k mass and the 5k mass turret was only rotating at 1 block rotation 25 blocks away from centre axis per more than 10 seconds.

Power was fine there was 1.2mil power draw mostly from the shield rechargers with 3.5mil of power per sec supply.
    There was 140k total mass of other stationary rail docked items.
    Manually tested rotation ok.
    Will engage targets just takes forever to rotate.

It doesn't work like its a shared mass enhancer, it should have rotated horizontally fine.
    I will have to try without the fixed base and see if that works. If I can get my game to start back up again.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Hrmm, not sure then. I'm pretty sure the enhancers should be shared, since they are not linked/own by any particular rail. I remember people complaining about total mass of docked things being used, and that being called unintended, but I could be remembering wrong.

I dunno, I'm too tired for brainwork!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay tested so I do need enhancers on the turret base so that it rotates fast.... but I don't need the fixed plate to mount it all on. As Comr4de said.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Wait they changed that? my mech's muscles are gonna be so over powered now because I designed each joint to hand the weight of every joint down the line from it + an extra 800 mass.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Wait they changed that? my mech's muscles are gonna be so over powered now because I designed each joint to hand the weight of every joint down the line from it + an extra 800 mass.
    You still need to be able to move the mass of the entire arm combined, it's just on the main torso, you only need enough to move 1 shoulder for both to work.

When I say shared, I always mean within the single entity, I'm just shit at explaining it.