turret radar alert system still possible?

Reaction score
    with the old power system there was tons of possibilities
    one of the things I build was a type of turret that had its own power supply
    a cannon or damage beam with a sensor watching its power supply

the power setup was made in such a way that it could not produce enough energy to let it fire stable
    and thus the energy level dropped

the sensor picked this up and relayed this as a automated enemy warning
    this signal I could then link to embedded turrets that deployed and activated

making it a nice animation

how do I make this with the new power system?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Make a shell, like a toaster.
    Where you insert the bread, point that forward.
    dock ships and keep them stable with how you archive push/pull/stop newly - their reactors will be online rather than those of docked ships adding power cap to a denser shape or supplement power of currently "docked / hold-stationary" individiual entities.

_If that doesn'T work, I dunno.
    I try to archive the same, but for a asteroid hold in a mouth of a miner while it's flying to the next one.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes.
    I still test if this is a thing.
    Clearly not meant to be (docked saves server-ressources).

But you can't dock asteroids and if it is disabled while being docked, this is the only solution.

Maybe you have to dock it before jumping - like another pack/unpack animation.

Reactions: wanzer
    Reaction score
    thank you

but that means I cant have such a mechanic installed on a ship

so another thing ruined by the new power system...

and this is why I made a post about starmade having all the complexity and associated fun being sucked out
    any object made has to be a homogeneous blob forbidden to interact outside a cookie cutter parameters
    and its this why I defended docked reactors.
    it wasn't about docked reactors, it was about building your own systems.
    that was what starmade made so incredibly epic.

the best thing you can do now is place 2 blobs with blobs between them the same m3 with a fancy looking shell
    and every functionality slowly mold into ui panels

I remember when power 2.0 was advertised, there be increasing difficulty connecting the reactor to addons
    I don't see it

all I see is that only stick shaped ships are the thing to build if you want any power at all

no your not allowed to draw in this game anymore
    just to print out a pre defined system in a (own chosen) scale and collor it only within the lines

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am not a fan of it either.
    Because it is only another step to satisfaction from a different viewpoint, not satisfaction-code itself.

We used to have weapon-slider UI for range, damage, projectile speed and fire rate, some time ago.
    The bad thing about it was, that it wasn'T an option, but a build obstacle.

Unless fighting a station (and not requiring bonus%, means more damage or firerate), there was a projectile speed requirement to reliably hit your desired targets.

After you got that one right to the exact fraction you can fine-tune, you have to re-decide if you got your weapon range right or need a bit more or can save on it. But changing range also changes required projectile speed to hit your target.
    As you may imagine: It was a logic-loop never ending, supplemented by meta and counterpick choices.

While thinking about above, you were eventually (especially newbies) uncertain about perfect damage and firerate % requirements.
    Damage was 1-hitting a hull/armor/advarmor block and fire-rate was variable.
    Small weapons tend to fire slowly, large ones as fast as possible, lagging the server.

But at some point, you realized, that once you got damage right, weapon effectiveness dependet on the builder skill and if it is used against intended targets (Insanth pirate ship or a specific build from someone else) and similar targets.

And still, a 2x as long ship beats you anyway. 30% builder skill or 100% didn'T really matter as long as it was "not completely noobish".
    In reality, you would have a reaction-chamber, where the magic happens.

And then, there would be reflection layers to keep the reaction requirements.
    Afterward you had absorption layers, absorbing heat, radiation, light, gravity-fluctuations, warp-waves, etc to generate power.
    Forth layer would be a capacitor to leverage fluctuations - but sometimes small beam weapon turrets can use these fluctuations for unconditional bonus shots which average over a given time (3-10 seconds) to some expected value.

Additionally to these layers, there will be heat and heat dissipation, limiting the boost-time of reactors and the restoration of availability of boost-charges. (you would have 7 charges independently restoring rather than a on/off period and a long cooldown forced)

Depending on reactor type, instead of absorbing gravity-fluctuations, make power, use power for gravity wells, you might skip 2 conversions and use it directly as gravity-drive.
    Or use em-wave-guides to power beams directly. Control output by controlling reactions.
    Catch side-products or excess in electrical capacitors to reduce the need in continuous reactions for constantly required machines.

The bigger that thing is, the more crew the ship has, the more the complexity is spread to more and more human/NPC brains and the higher the capacity of complexity. Additional complexity is then rewarding thing, because you wouldn'T add complexity if it doesn't give a bonus.
    https://starmadedock.net/threads/blueprinting-power-3-0-idea-compilation-workshop.31175/

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just Spitballing here, but do Area triggers detect if another entity rotates blocks into them?

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score
    AI still auto detects, problem is turrets no longer draw power from themselves. But from the ship, thus it will always fire. The power system essentially has ruined any kind of engineering or technology advancement. I think if the dev team wanted to condone interiors they should have complimented docked reactors, not removed them. It was a way to limit dimensions of power while allowing interior.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just Spitballing here, but do Area triggers detect if another entity rotates blocks into them?
    They should. This was the original design for an enemy detecting logic device. An internal "turret" that would point at an enemy and swing the barrel through area sensors. It didn't need to fire or worry about energy, all it had to do was track.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    Well the only way to find out is to make one of your own using the current code set. Then take out what does not work, and find a solution to the issue. Though this may not end in an exact replica, it may be as good. So give it a shot and see what happens.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    They should. This was the original design for an enemy detecting logic device. An internal "turret" that would point at an enemy and swing the barrel through area sensors. It didn't need to fire or worry about energy, all it had to do was track.
    Interesting, do they still work in current builds:?