Turret Questions

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi I am wondering what people do for long range turret guns. I built a 8000 block gun that is Canon, beam, punch-through (Sniper Cannon). Sat the bobby to turret, active, any and it cant seam to hit the bored side of a tie fighter (literately a 150 mass tie fighter). If the gun cant hit that i dont know if it will do much to a larger ship asides poke a few howls in it.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    This is because cannons are not instantaneous hits. You have to lead the target if it is moving. Beam weapons are instant hits.

Reaction score
    ^Nope, no they don't. It's really simple AI. On the list is improved ai, so as always, SOON.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    best long range defense is a 1:1 Missile/Damage beam combo. the Ai does not need to have line of sight nor lock on time to fire a super accurate homing missile at enemy ships.

As for the AI ability for other weapons its just as ToyotaSupra says

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This is because cannons are not instantaneous hits. You have to lead the target if it is moving. Beam weapons are instant hits.
    Yes, but if the server settings puts AI accuracy at anything below 90, it just seems like they're trying to miss.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Yes, but if the server settings puts AI accuracy at anything below 90, it just seems like they're trying to miss.
    AFAIK that accuracy is based off a range of 100 meters distance. This may have changed. 90 = 90% chance to hit a stationary target. That how I understood it whenever I learned about it, but that was like a year ago.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey thanks Sven_The_Slayer. I did not think that made that big a difference. I always ran medium mode. As for lock on Missile i have a few mounted on the ship. trying to build a carrier that is a mobile turret platform. As well as a buffet of fighters as the main weapon. One other thing I build a Turret That has 5 lock on Missile Computers on it. I had hoped the AI would fire them a bit slower one by one to allow a bit of a cool down rotation, however it just fires 5 300,000 dps missiles at a puny little fighter. Is there a way to make this a bit more efficient?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    AFAIK that accuracy is based off a range of 100 meters distance. This may have changed. 90 = 90% chance to hit a stationary target. That how I understood it whenever I learned about it, but that was like a year ago.
    yes, and most engagements take place >100m, even with beam, it will miss ~1/10 shots on center at 100m, which is fine because you don't need to hit exact center, but it gets even less *accurate* at longer ranges, up to the point at which it basically doesn't have a chance of hitting.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That's cause the default AI accuracy setting is abysmal. With high accuracy the AI will lead it's shots, despite what others might think.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Idk, considering how capable players seem to be at obliterating pirates, I don't think it's out of the question to just set the AI difficulty to a higher value and get a bit of a challenge out of it. Does that value also apply to non-pirate turrets? If so then it's a temporary solution till AI gets worked on.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Idk, considering how capable players seem to be at obliterating pirates, I don't think it's out of the question to just set the AI difficulty to a higher value and get a bit of a challenge out of it. Does that value also apply to non-pirate turrets? If so then it's a temporary solution till AI gets worked on.
    It really does make a huge difference. Pirates that can't hit you are easy to fight when you are outnumbered. You can get nice and close and pick your shots. A single pirates with sniper accuracy will core drill you if you are not in a better ship.