Turret Gun Rotation

Reaction score

Self Explanitory... Hopefully.

If not:

Would be nice if turrets could have guns that rotate individually while the main body stays on one plane.

tl;dr more of top picture

Reaction score
    Couldn\'t this be remedied fairly simply with a block that rotates vertically, similarly to the current turret docking block? So you\'d just have to put it on the base of each section of anti-matter cannons to make them able to aim up and down without the entire turret doing the same.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yup, no limits was bad, but atm it\'s too restricted, could use a bit of range increase for the aspects.

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    If a little difficult to implement with a nice system also understandable to the new player.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Its funny, I came onto the forums to start a thread just like this. I would also love a block that rotates 360 degrees on one plane, then one that rotates 0-90 degrees vertically. or somewhere like that. It would vastly improve the look and feel of turrets on ships :)

Reaction score
    I agree Joe. Especially when I am trying to recreate the Space Battleship Yamato. :p I need my guns to work well. On my ship subject, we need warp drives and something to the extent of the Wave cannon (Yamato Cannon for starcrafters)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m thinking that for this to work fully, a Turret core might have to be made. With this theoretical turret core, left and right movement would perform the way it does now, while up and down would be locked, instead relying on a joint of some sort. An advantage to a turret core could be that while it allows independent movement, the blocks are still considered part of the base ship; a turret core would not be able to disconnect the way a ship core can. Because it\'s part of the base ship or station, power could be drawn from main unit and perhaps shields could cover the turrets. Possible problems, on the other hand, include more moving parts on moving parts, which could cause latency issues (Though limiting the joint sections to always following the turret\'s aim could help, since that would make them predictable), Additionally, all turret cores should reset their orientation when the ship or station enters build mode, to make them maintainable.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is indeed a very good idea.

Most space series/films does have rotating and elevating turrets and as this community grows, more people will make ships with this kind of turrets.

Zxaber: You\'re very true, I support all your ideas. A turret shall be part of the ship and recieve shield and energy from the main corpus and not be undockable.

1 comment though: Resetting core orientation when entering build mode isn\'t a good idea when you share your ship with other people. For example: You enter build mode but your friend is playing/shooting with a turret -> Program will crash or (if nicely coded) turret movement will be forced to recenter and stay so as long you stay in build mode. Of course you can talk about it with your friends, but it will be very annoying in battle when someone accidentaly enters build mode.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My impression was that build mode wasn\'t something that is used often in combat often. Once the ship is built and ready to go, the pilot would stay in flight mode, since it\'s impossible to control the ship and react to threats while building. So my initial thought was that eventually either build mode would be unavailable while people were using computers on a ship, or more likely that people would be kicked out automatically, were it ever to cause problems. That being said, I can see reasons build mode might be used while in combat; checking for damage or adding to a station under near constant assault, to name a few. So I suppose a better way, if possible, might be for the turrets to remain both unhindered and un-editable until the base block that a turret connects to is selected, which would either kick out the user or lock the view.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I understand what you mean and these \'settings\' are good compromises.

Now we\'ll see if the devs will hear us and also if the coding of all this won\'t be too difficult.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I fully agree with a turret core, and it would be great if it had a less massive blip in your screen, and if you would be able to turn them off on the navigation screen like you would asteroids and such. I say this would be awesome because I recently made a ship with 35 turrets on it, and from far away all you can see is green diamonds...

Reaction score
    Shouldn\'t even appear on radar, since they would be unusable without being on a ship or station and aren\'t treated as seperate ships they shouldn\'t appear at all, or in the nav window either.

I strongly support both the OP idea, and the turret core idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sure, could be nice. Wonder how well such thing could be implemented though. Aforementioned turret core would work and it also would make turret to be an actual turret, not a small ship (yes, I saw people fighting with a single detached turret - and winning).