Turret Design Advice?

Reaction score
    Long story short, every time I build turrets, they seem to get vaporized by missiles. Any general turret suggestions to make them a bit more durable? Should I even bother with small turrets and just have giant turrets on my ships?

Also what's some good weapon combinations on turrets? Anything that stands out?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Turrets can be rather interesting. Small turrets are practically useless except for RP uses. Cannon + laser used to be good but with the new update and the strange power values... its very hard on power. Missile + laser also was good. Giant turrets would be worth it. They don't always have to be pretty, as long as they are functional. (Unless of course you are going for pretty.)
    I mainly build turrets as just hull, the weapons, shields, and power capacitors. The main ship usually provides the power needed for me.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If you have a gigantic amount of small turrets then I suggest converting some of them to anti-missile turrets. cannon-cannon at 100% works best for this. To activate them properly shift to them with the up or down arrows and set the "fire at missiles" AI setting. After everything is properly set up use the structure tab to activate all the turrets at the same time (buton located in the turret docking collective group).

Unless an enemy fires a 500 missile swarm at you I guarantee that missiles won't touch you again :). Unless the turrets get shot down by cannons or beams of course

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    cannon-cannon at 100% works best for this.
    I like using multiple types of weapon.

Specifically, one cannon-cannon, and eight cannon-missiles, so I get both the machinegun and the shotgun. Very small chance of hitting multiple swarmers is better than no chance.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As far as I know there is still a bug that causes missile splash damage to any indirect targets to be huge compared to what it should be. This makes turrets especially weak. It should be fixed sooner or later but until then missile defense is your best option.

Hopefully Ion Defense benefits will also be granted to turrets. You have to add the modules to cover the mass so you might as well get protection for it. I know a lot of people want the mother ships shields to protect turrets while others object. Giving them resistance with Ion would be a good middle ground.

Reaction score
    For armour I'd suggest putting plenty on the front of the system.

The turret will be facing the enemy most of the time. It might seem obvious, but you'd be surprised. That's all I can give you.

Reaction score
    As far as I know there is still a bug that causes missile splash damage to any indirect targets to be huge compared to what it should be. This makes turrets especially weak. It should be fixed sooner or later but until then missile defense is your best option.

Hopefully Ion Defense benefits will also be granted to turrets. You have to add the modules to cover the mass so you might as well get protection for it. I know a lot of people want the mother ships shields to protect turrets while others object. Giving them resistance with Ion would be a good middle ground.
    That's exactly the problem. I'm using a couple of 'nukes' (missile/pulse/explosive) and vs the same ship I can take out all the turrets in a single blast. I hope this bug gets fixed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Just about every turret I make now is inset into the ship so that the turret's core is down inside the ship hull. This really seems to help against missiles, as they typically end up hitting the ship's shields before they get close enough to affect the turret core.

I also add missile defense turrets, as has been recommended above. So far, the anti-missile turrets I've made have been very small, with just enough shielding to take a hit or two from an Isanth. I also don't bother with insetting them as I suggested for weapons turrets. They don't attract much attention since they only fire at missiles, so I just keep them cheap and inconspicuous. The number of such turrets is a matter of personal taste, but I like to make sure that I have 2-4 that can cover any direction at once.

Reaction score
    I tried building a large turret into the ship for the same reasons, and ran into issues. Do you have any tips for construction? Was it just a standard turret, or did you dock it like a ship instead? Does it turn?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I tried building a large turret into the ship for the same reasons, and ran into issues. Do you have any tips for construction? Was it just a standard turret, or did you dock it like a ship instead? Does it turn?
    A standard turret. I set it up like this:

_____HHHHH
    _____HmmmH
    HHH_HmmmH_HHHH
    ___H_HHmHH_H
    ___H____C____H
    ___H____T____H
    ___HHHHHHHHH

H = Hull
    m = Various Modules
    C = Ship Core
    T = Turret Docking Module

You can make it as deep as you want, and the deeper it is set, the more protected your core is. I set up the core and turret docking block like this so I leave room to work with the Bobby AI and Faction block from inside the ship with a hatchway. The turret will clip through the ship hull around it to track targets, so make sure your means of access won't get cut off when the turret is at an odd angle.