Turret construction best practices and questions

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Uh.... what are you talking about? >_>
    AI will not fire weapons if they are below 30% power, it was part of one of the fleet updates. I love this as a lot of my smaller ships stagger fire missiles and were never able to be used by AI before as they would run their tanks dry and keep attempting to fire. I'm not sure if it actually prevents turrets from going into the "power failure" state as turrets will still fire past their own capacity.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    AI will not fire weapons if they are below 30% power, it was part of one of the fleet updates. I love this as a lot of my smaller ships stagger fire missiles and were never able to be used by AI before as they would run their tanks dry and keep attempting to fire. I'm not sure if it actually prevents turrets from going into the "power failure" state as turrets will still fire past their own capacity.
    Seriously? That's pretty nice! Although I could see some problems arising from that with alpha-weapons. So like, if you have a missile that drains 90% of the power when fired, but the power has time to go back up before it's done reloading, then the ship will never be able to fire (even if it should). I guess that the weapon could just be split into two systems though, so it's not that much of an issue.

And I think that you're right about turrets, those have never cared about their own capacity, as they can just draw from the main ship. It's worth testing out.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Seriously? That's pretty nice! Although I could see some problems arising from that with alpha-weapons. So like, if you have a missile that drains 90% of the power when fired, but the power has time to go back up before it's done reloading, then the ship will never be able to fire (even if it should). I guess that the weapon could just be split into two systems though, so it's not that much of an issue.

And I think that you're right about turrets, those have never cared about their own capacity, as they can just draw from the main ship. It's worth testing out.
    It's not a problem that I've seen, AI stops firing if the power is below 30% not if the shot will take the power below 30%. So they will fire the high alpha shot putting the ship to 10% power, they will then not fire any other weapons while the ship recharges. I had some trouble testing with a ship that runs really hot when attempting to fire all of it's guns at once, something a human can't do so it's fairly power stable when I fly it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I did try a tiny AMS turret just now; with no power generation on the barrel, it will refuse to fire, even though the base should be able to provide all the power it needs. With just a single power generator on the barrel it fires, but only so much as the power can supply. What's up with that?

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    I've found that the power capacity of the core is not counted by turreted weapons when doing similar AMS testing. I had to either add power to the AMS base or barrel or add capacitor blocks to the main entity which was a core and some power recharger blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I just tried putting power capacitors on the barrel and base: it seems to fix the problem, as they operate fine now. That's an odd bug for sure. Don't need reactors, just capacitors. It draws power from the parent properly now.