Turret Accuracy

How are turrets these days?

• Turret accuracy is fine, l2p

• Turret accuracy needs to be looked at.

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    First of all, hello, fellow community, I have not been playing this game for +- 5 months, so please bear with me.

First of all, thank you Schema and co. for the great updates to the game!

I am here to ask your opinions on the current turret accuracy. Surely the previous 100% hit-rate was rather overpowered, but now I am experiencing quite the opposite issue. None of my turrets seem to hit their target unless it's the size of a moon.

So far I have tried cannon + beam, beam + beam, beam + cannon and cannon + cannon combinations. I am playing on two servers currently, and on both of them none of the combinations EVER hit the target, except for cannon + cannon, which roughly lands 5 in 100 hits for minuscule amount of damage.
    I am the most disappointed with all the beam combinations, as all of them resemble a pretty rave show rather than a military weapon, shooting in every which way so long as it isn't in the direction of the enemy. I also freaking hate the overall jitteriness of bobby using beam weapons.
    Moreover, I find it completely ridiculous that beam weapons are actually LESS accurate than projectile weapons, because projectile weapons are so horrible that they sometimes manage to hit a moving target, whereas beam weapons are flawless at avoiding the target.
    I wonder if this is intended or have the admins of those servers messed with the configuration files?

Does anyone know any working combinations?

I am currently forced to use missile + beam launchers, because they are the only weapon turrets can effectively use (or rather can't ruin).

Please halp.

Reaction score
    Nope... You are correct. The defaults heavily weigh using tracking missiles for turrets or just have tons of them. I wanted to make tractor beams to pull ships in to a grinder and the accuracy is so catastrophically bad that they barely impact the ship unless they are gargantuan in size (to get so much damage converted to pull) in which case it usually flings the ship in the other direction having bounced off the turret that pulled it.

The one that I have not tried is a sniper turret, but I've just given into heat seekers to save my sanity. I kind of wish I could go over 100% on some because I'd like to have short range beams as well.

Reaction score
    If I recall correctly sniper turret is cannon + beam? I have tried that, using 40 blocks of both weapons, and it had NEVER hit an Insanth (lolspelling) in +- 3 minutes I watched it. I swear it's like watching a drunk person fling potatoes at birds. I then proceeded to go afk for about half an hour, and when I came back the amount of pirates did not reduce. :( What's funny is they can't hit you either unless you move.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i liked aimbot turrets. that's how an ai should work as well. anyone know how to change it back?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If you are playing single player the accuracy of all AI should be based on the difficulty setting, I play on hard and my turrets have no problem hitting their targets. If you are on a server an admin will have to adjust AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY. It currently defaults to 100 but I think the old default may have been 10, you may have old default settings in your server.cfg as well.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I got the impression turrets (and all AI for that matter) aim rather precisely at one and the same spot which is offset some from the actual target diamond. This is good to see on point defense turrets, which (when in an unfortunate angle to the missile path) always fail at hitting the target by the very same margin and offset.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So here are the values. Changing the difficulty in the launcher seems to only adjust this one value. Easy enemy AI means your turrets suck too (which honestly for a better difficulty curve this probably should be broken into to two values, friendly AI and hostile AI. You may want derpy pirates but turrets still be useful).

Easy :
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 10
    Medium:
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 30
    Hard:
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 100
    Mean:
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 1000

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So here are the values. Changing the difficulty in the launcher seems to only adjust this one value. Easy enemy AI means your turrets suck too (which honestly for a better difficulty curve this probably should be broken into to two values, friendly AI and hostile AI. You may want derpy pirates but turrets still be useful).

Easy :
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 10
    Medium:
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 30
    Hard:
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 100
    Mean:
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 1000
    Easy :
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 10 = 100% accuracy at 10 meters
    Medium:
    • AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 30 = 100% accuracy at 30 meters
    and so on

at least thats what the server notepad thing says

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    We just need the HP system soon. It makes absolutely no sense that the only way to destroy any ship is to hit an area the size of 1m³. This is almost impossible except with missiles or extreme projectile spam. Slow firing turrets would be more feasible if efficient block damage wasn't exclusive to missiles or rapidfire cannons.