turret 3rd axis support

Reaction score
    I looked for all the turret related threads and didn't anything regarding the number of supported axis on turrets. If I still missed a related thread please point me to it :).

My suggestion is to add controls for a third axis on a turret. I've just tried a concept with a turret in a Z shape: bottom bar as rotating base, mid bar as a riser of sorts and the top bar being the actual cannon. Unfortunately, the actual cannon part is unable to control the other parts, so it can only rotate on the base it is connected to itself.

My suggestion: make the third part (third being the part that works on the same axis as another) controllable by the movement keys. eg. with a riser part: make it controllable with the up and down (q and e) controls. perhaps the controls could even be dependant on the orientation between the parts.

What this suggestion would allow is for turrets to rise out of their resting position for added maneuvrabillity. for example: this way the turret could be built in such a fashion where the barrel part cannot rotate in resting position as it is lying flat on the base or actual ship, but when it is in the upper position it would have the full range of motion allong that axis.

possible problem: this can't work together with thrusters as they would use the same controls. solution: this feature could be overruled by thrustercontrols or vice versa. thrusters overruling axis would be preferable so that turrets can be moved into place easier when they are spawned far from the ship. actual turrets don't need thrusters so this would not impede their functionality

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This would be neat, but is a rare edge case. We need in-game programmable AI, so you can tell it that there is a riser. I'm surprised that you cannot raise and lower on a rail in a docked entity. That would be an interesting addition. Players would enjoy making one of these:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Did you try to use a normal logic rotator block instead of the turret axis to go up ad down?
    I didn't try it myself but maybe the turret just searches for the next 2 entities with turret axis for the control so normal rotator blocks could be used to raise the turret (also if that does not work, put the raising mechanism below the turret).