Turning: where should my core be?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Where should my core be in relation to the rest of my ship if i want to have a fast turning speed?

Reaction score
    Core location doesn\'t affect handling; That is up to your thrusters. Bigger ships will handle worse naturally regardless of the thrust to mass ratio, so there may be diminishing returns on that specific stat. And when you think about it, this makes a great deal of sense. We wouldn\'t want capital ships to be able to turn on a dime, or there\'d be even less reasons to use smaller ships.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Doctor Ragnarok is correct. Anything more than 100 mass is going to take a hit to their turning speed, and anything more than 300 mass is at the minimum turning speed.

And Shivers run down my spine at the thought of capital ships zipping too and fro like giant mutant cores.

Reaction score
    Isn\'t the amount of thrusters unrelated to your turning speed? But anyways, the turning speed will be the same regardless of where it is placed on the ship.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    when i made my ship longer instead of wider i found it turns a little better. maybe it\'s all in my head ;)

in any case, big ships / slow turning ships, dont turn in battle much. You just reverse, space is a big place. If you reverse far enough, the angle you turn to target is lessened. As you should have good acceleration this is a work around i use to combat smaller ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Where is your cockpit? You might just be fooling yourself with physics. If your viewpoint is near either end, having a longer ship will automatically feel like it turns faster, because ends that are farther out are technically moving faster than the middle of the ship. So it\'ll look like the stars are going by faster when the ship isn\'t actually turning faster.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you want to turn your front guns fast you have to reduce the angle by putting the core further to the front.

Reaction score
    You can imagine all this by holding a stick as long as yourself, grabbing it from different locations and then rotating. Imagine there is a camera on different locations, and what it would look like from them.

Something you will notice, is that if you grab it from near the front and start turning it, the tail will hit other objects and your room walls more uncontrollably :p Actual ship turning speed is unaffected by where the core is, but if your ship core is at front of a very long ship, don\'t be surprised if turning suddenly stops as the ships back hits a station.

Also for docking purposes aswell the core should always be at the center of the ship.