Turning radius

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't know if this has been brought up, but I think the current turning radius is a bit too prohibitive. Perhaps looking at the current model and tweaking it a bit. I have a build I did of the starship Voyager, and it's about 370 meters in length. It's barely able to turn. Abysmally slow. I feel this needs a rework.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    your ship is not performing well both because it takes up a relatively large boxdim without using much of the space in it (thats naturally how star trek ships are in their designs), and because your server config settings are set too low for your specific ship.

the problem is also that the system works based on box dimensions to determine turning rate rather than by mass and thrusters
    there really isnt a good way to, by default, please people shipwise of all different scifi franchises because each franchise's ships function fundamentally differently

star wars ships for example are always super slow and have hundreds of small guns on them
    star trek ships are always very fast and maneuverable and have a few powerful weapons on them
    both the weapon and movement aspects of these two different universes cannot both be appeased at the same time in starmade. if you want it to perform like a star trek ship you will have to use it on a star trek-oriented server

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I suggest lowering your turning dimension thing in the config down to 0.9 or 0.8, that is a nice number for a decent turn speed, but not too far from the default. You could play on a server with these settings, I know Infinite Havoc has 0.9, and Elwyn Eternity has 0.8

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    My personal thoughts are the turning system should be made unrealistic. The game has already thrown realism out the window and then some. perhaps a more atmospheric flight style, with you virtually unable to turn unless you are moving, and your turning rate gets better the faster you go, with RCS thrusters that help increase base turn rate, with a cap of course.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Realism is futile. In a realistic universe angular momentum is NOT your friend. Our Starmade universe already allows such maneuverability that all our Daves should be ruptured and broken, squished against bulkheads that hit them like a speeding truck . The only way star-trek type ships could possibly work is by somehow negating mass and inertia... Which fortunately is exactly what they do :)

Reactions: therimmer96

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I like the current system, as it prevents big ships from turning on a dime. However, I think that the turning speed decreases should take longer to engage, and not have a cap. My biggest problem with the game is that a 300m ships turns the same speed as a 1000m ship because of the cap and the quick decrease in turn speed.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like the current system, as it prevents big ships from turning on a dime. However, I think that the turning speed decreases should take longer to engage, and not have a cap. My biggest problem with the game is that a 300m ships turns the same speed as a 1000m ship because of the cap and the quick decrease in turn speed.
    Big ships do turn on a dime...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Big ships do turn on a dime...
    Maybe I used the wrong term, my english isn't perfect. What I meant was that it prevents big ships from turning like a fighter.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, I don't mind having ships turning on a die, it's just that the cap is reached so quickly that the difference in turn rates between a frigate and a titan is negligable

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yeah, I don't mind having ships turning on a die, it's just that the cap is reached so quickly that the difference in turn rates between a frigate and a titan is negligable
    Well that is how it mostly is in Star Wars. The Nebulon-B frigate moves and turns very slowly yet is way smaller than a star destroyer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Well that is how it mostly is in Star Wars. The Nebulon-B frigate moves and turns very slowly yet is way smaller than a star destroyer.
    That's thanks to it's design. An acclimation turns much faster at only a slight increase in length...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I was reading up on various game updates and tech news when I discovered this http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...a/2/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
    Part way into the article it mentions "flight assist" where the ship flies like an aircraft (or many video game/movie/other media spaceships). Now flight assist is pretty unrealistic, but perhaps the thruster update could incorporate an auto-flight-assist of some kind that makes the thrusters allocate power proportionally. Anyway, the point is that they have this "flight assist" and they have the ability to turn it off at any point while flying! This is pretty great because it allows you to fly your fighter like its from a movie, and then when a noob in his killer fighter flies up (using flight assist because he doesn't know how to fly otherwise), you, the veteran Starmade pilot can fly past, blasting him full of holes, using your flight assist, then switch it off, flip around and face him, and flip it back on, gunning the thrusters for another pass.

TL;DR read the article, it mentions a "flight assist" mode that is toggleable and could be of interest :)

Reactions: Lecic