Turn down salvage beam intensity a smidge...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Don't know about anyone else, but when I make a mining ship, I put the camera in the nose right in the middle of the salvage beams because thats the easiest place to aim from.

Until the weapons update...

Here's my smaller miner. You can sort of see that there's an asteroid back there...
    starmade-screenshot-0000.jpg

My large miner? Forgetaboutit...
    starmade-screenshot-0001.jpg

So yeah, maybe find a way to make salvage beams a little less blinding?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    On the other hand if you lower the intensity then double waffles would look pretty pitiful from the side. There is also no need to put a camera in the middle considering that beams are instant hit.

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    Camera sitting in the middle of an array makes for easy aiming, or at least it used to...
    On a related note, I would love to have an option to make a wide latch-on salvage beam as the single-output low-profile alternative to big-ass waffle arrays that blind people.

Reactions: Alphajim
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ive always found it easier to aim from a diagonal offset a few meters away. Even before the update i couldnt stand the beams getting between me and the target.

I usually use two cameras, one on each side of the ship, and sometimes on in line with the array to line up initially. Then i can view it from different angles. I actually like the more intense beam effects now.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Eh, I tend to watch from "behind" the sweep so i can adapt the speed. Most of my salvagers use a downward facing beam array so it's like sweeping a broom over whatever i'm harvesting. Only issue i then have is that the camera has this weird rotation..

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I’m a bit late to the party, but I turn off beam visualization in graphics options when I mine. It’s a pain in the ass but is a nice band-aid until schine implements a way to tone it down normally.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    My miner the beam output is under the cockpit, so I'm good.

Reaction score
    My miner the beam output is under the cockpit, so I'm good.
    I do the same, but the problem is that you can't see what effect they are having so you don't know when you are blowing through and need to sweep your aim. With combat beams this is not an issue because they either do enough acid to see around the flare effect, or they are a smaller class of beam that retargets as blocks blow up. Salvage does neither so we need to rely on our eyes to prompt user behaviors.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I do the same, but the problem is that you can't see what effect they are having so you don't know when you are blowing through and need to sweep your aim. With combat beams this is not an issue because they either do enough acid to see around the flare effect, or they are a smaller class of beam that retargets as blocks blow up. Salvage does neither so we need to rely on our eyes to prompt user behaviors.
    Wondering why mining beams don't do acid damage. It would certainly reduce the number of outputs needed; a single-layer waffle would be more than sufficient.

Reaction score
    Wondering why mining beams don't do acid damage. It would certainly reduce the number of outputs needed; a single-layer waffle would be more than sufficient.
    This is why I wish salvagers still accepted secondaries. Be really cool if normal stayed as it is, Salvage+Missile gave it acid, Salvage+Cannon gave it old scatter beams, and Salvage+Beam made it and non gimbaled stronger acid beam

I would also go back to needing 60-100 blocks to get max penetration instead of 8. That way a basic salvage array would be a big bulky but functional option for cheap starter ships, and then the others would be able to be shrunk down into smaller spaces making for more expensive but also more maneuverable mining ships.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    I had the same problem. The way I rectify that is by docking a ship with a basic armor covering my core view on the color of choice. I think it should also work in front of camera, though I haven't tested it.

Reactions: Edymnion
    Reaction score
    Don't know about anyone else, but when I make a mining ship, I put the camera in the nose right in the middle of the salvage beams because thats the easiest place to aim from.

Here's my smaller miner. You can sort of see that there's an asteroid back there...
    View attachment 49483

View attachment 49484

Reaction score

View attachment 49483

View attachment 49484

Theres a way to disable them, but idk about lowering intensity.

Esc - Options - Adv.Graphics - Draw Beams