Turn cloak and jammer into effect systems

Reaction score
    Since radical new ship modules have been added with the effect system , I wondered if the old jamming and cloaking could follow that new method. Instead of one block per ship , temporary or sustained stealth could require a certain fraction of the ship's mass in effect modules to decrease energy usage to manageable levels.

I believe this would be quite simple to implement. Constant cloaking could feature increased energy usage over time , so that a ship made entirely of power cores could barely stay cloaked with one effect module.

Adding more cloaking modules than power cores would save on ship mass (with diminishing returns) but the energy cost of thrust , shield regeneration and weapon fire would matter a lot more. Permacloaking ships would be highly specialized and much less effective in frontal combat.

Reaction score
    Technically, permacloak and jam ships now are highly specialized. Also they don't seem viable for combat because when I was in mid-combat on a server, I accidentally nuked one while trying to fight pirates with a weapon I was testing (got banned from it, due to "griefing" a player I did not know was there due to permacloak and jam). A set-up like what you are proposing would not affect the ships in question at all, since all they would have to do to reduce energy costs is to put more cloak and jamming modules on. It might make it more viable for any titan class and above, though, mainly due to massive power tanks and power regens they usually have, and what with the more module reducing costs in your suggestion, diminishing returns be damned, it'd be like the shield blocks before they were a flat 495.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Technically, permacloak and jam ships now are highly specialized. Also they don't seem viable for combat because when I was in mid-combat on a server, I accidentally nuked one while trying to fight pirates with a weapon I was testing (got banned from it, due to "griefing" a player I did not know was there due to permacloak and jam). A set-up like what you are proposing would not affect the ships in question at all, since all they would have to do to reduce energy costs is to put more cloak and jamming modules on. It might make it more viable for any titan class and above, though, mainly due to massive power tanks and power regens they usually have, and what with the more module reducing costs in your suggestion, diminishing returns be damned, it'd be like the shield blocks before they were a flat 495.
    would love to know what server this was on

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    i totally agree wuth this suggestion, i think it's the best solution to balance cloaking

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it would be better than what we have now if stealth ships could be made somewhat pretty.

Point of fact, though: stealth ships are already not viable in combat. However, I would welcome anything that could potentially make stealth ships look more like ships and less like an ugly cybernetic porcupine with mange.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Let me guess, mushroom fleet?[DOUBLEPOST=1413851093,1413851021][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it would be better than what we have now if stealth ships could be made somewhat pretty.

Point of fact, though: stealth ships are already not viable in combat. However, I would welcome anything that could potentially make stealth ships look more like ships and less like an ugly cybernetic porcupine with mange.
    You have no idea how deadly a jammed ship can be in the right hands.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Let me guess, mushroom fleet?[DOUBLEPOST=1413851093,1413851021][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You have no idea how deadly a jammed ship can be in the right hands.
    Sure I do. It just has to be a glass cannon with no hull or any decoration to speak of. That's what I don't like. I want a ship to look like a ship not like...
    an ugly cybernetic porcupine with mange

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sure I do. It just has to be a glass cannon with no hull or any decoration to speak of. That's what I don't like. I want a ship to look like a ship not like...

the ship on the left of the picture is a stealth frigate from my faction the Calderon Republic. it is 5k mass, has DPS exceeding a million and can also sustain jam. When deployed correctly it has taken down many ships more than 5 times its size due to the simple fact it cannot be detected on NAV nor emits a ship signature for the targeted ship's pilot to try to counter react to.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen

the ship on the left of the picture is a stealth frigate from my faction the Calderon Republic. it is 5k mass, has DPS exceeding a million and can also sustain jam. When deployed correctly it has taken down many ships more than 5 times its size due to the simple fact it cannot be detected on NAV nor emits a ship signature for the targeted ship's pilot to try to counter react to.
    this sir is why i tend to use heat seakers as standard armament they take out cloaked and jammed ships u never knew were there

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    this sir is why i tend to use heat seakers as standard armament they take out cloaked and jammed ships u never knew were there
    yup, but in a fleet battle you're gonna be hitting your own teammates.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    true. but seeing as Mandalore was a very small faction and most of the memebers who had joined were still inctive i didnt have to worry about that

Reaction score
    @TwoNiner @Vengeance42 @max stripe I can't remember the server, due to the time that has passed since I left multiplayer to focus on a ship I'm building in single player. I guess I could check my server list and go through each one but something tells me with all the updates that have happened, I might be off the black list.