Truly recommended PC specs for playing Starmade for real

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Try using frigates, destroyers and cruisers that don't lag out the whole server when 3 of them get together. "For real" fleets don't consist of a gang of super-titans.

Fighter/corvette matches are super smooth if you want to have some serious faction PvP action.
    It's not about me, it's about the others.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That's out of question, since it seems most of the community gives more vision to EE. Seeking to have a big name on an lesser server would be no use at all.
    Not sure what you mean by"more vision" exactly, but if its anything like what I think its patently false. There are quite a few active and popular servers, each with its own micro community within the larger one that is the games community as a whole. Also, categorizing any server lesser based on population is also a mistake.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Not sure what you mean by"more vision" exactly, but if its anything like what I think its patently false. There are quite a few active and popular servers, each with its own micro community within the larger one that is the games community as a whole. Also, categorizing any server lesser based on population is also a mistake.
    If one wishes it's faction to be known by most of the community, it must go to the leading server(s). Which on the far past, was NASS - after it's share of drama, was Illusive + HSZ , and today, is EE.
    That's a cold hard truth, for Starmade's full experience would be achieved as an MMO. Since such thing is impossible, this is how it is.

And a server relevancy is indeed measured by either it's population or how solid it's community is (such thing is only achievable on Roleplaying/Heavy PvE ones). A server that lacks both of them is either trying hard to catch up, or doomed to have the plug pulled.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    "Most of the community" does not play on EE. In simple fact, one does not normally hear about anything going on in a server without being tied to it already. You are obviously not going to change your mind, and neither am I. We can agree to disagree on the "truth" of the matter.

Solid communities are out there, large or small. You make a good point there at least, without one or the other a server is not viable except as a private playground. Population is the less important of the two in my experience.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Lidren jorgekorke I'm just gonna say that without Elwyn my faction, the Trident, would not have got where it is now. I agree that there is no 'lesser' servers in community and technical respects but if the wider community accepts EE as the server of choice, then that's where you have to go to get your name seen. It does not make the server 'better' in any way though; there's still major 80-100sec lag spikes and shizz xD

But wow, this thread has really been derailed recently xD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, my fault too I think. I won't say anything further on the matter but this: the wider community does -not- accept EE as the server of choice, only its players do, which is how it should be.

Reaction score
    Trying a new server doesn't hurt anyone. I tried lazygamerz (currently rated #4) and I find it to be great. The benefits of voting are not overpowered such as teleporting anywhere a voter wishes and relies more on game mechanics. The server is active as well, and the admins are extremely nice. I recently had a chat with the primary admin and have even had offers to assist in the custom pirate designs, so I might consider that in the future.

Maybe it was just a bad experience on EE, but when me and my members brought up unplayable ping (1000-2000+) for all active players due to someone not letting the server catch up between bursts in mining it showed a mentality issue of consideration towards other players and in particular new ones. The admin at the time basically told one of my members off about it, when really admins should approach such issues like a customer service approach as opposed to the 'boss' approach.

This was all after one of my members had a dispute with someone else in our galaxy, yet the admin was super chill about it and very understanding after I gave him some context, even so he was happy I was taking the time to come to him to clear things up.

I know EE is big, but that's the main thing it has going for it I feel. This is probably a difference of preference, but the features it offers and the community are sadly not for me. I'm just speaking for my own perception, so I apologize if this seems harsh as I know you see it in a different light.

Back to the OP however, most lag will be fixed by using smaller ships on the server as a whole until a game that is in alpha is better optimized for larger crafts. My current server location has a 500k block limit on ships, 300k blocks of turrets, 3M for stations. I actually like this approach, despite having a great computer I find it to help balance of the game too rather than whoever can build the biggest or farm the most, pushes gamers to make more efficient designs etc. Not only does it help balance the game, but it also would fix the issue you've brought up. I plan on making some really large ships with some empty space inside and room for interiors for expansion when the block limit is increased once the game is better optimized for larger ships. In the meantime I'll just enjoy decorating my interiors, because I love making ships look nice. =P

Either way good luck to you. You'll likely see me later in the factions forum once I'm further established, we have a station that needs completion and plenty of preparing to do. I hope to see you around.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    ReaperEOD I might give it a chance, in fact. I'm already on " late-game " at EE, so, there is not much to do except waging war, something that won't happen so early.

My whole point is - I want my faction to grow and become known. Simple examples - when you say " CR " , everyone already knows what you are talking about. Same for when you say " NFD (previously DFN) " , " TE " , etcetera.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Idk where you all get this "EE has over 2k ping thing". I regularly play on EE and RARELY get anything over 20 ping. And those 2k spikes generally only last a couple of seconds.

Edit: How's the GTX980?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Idk where you all get this "EE has over 2k ping thing". I regularly play on EE and RARELY get anything over 20 ping. And those 2k spikes generally only last a couple of seconds.
    Ping usually has little to do with the server itself and mostly to do with the route between the server and the user. Different users will have different pings because the routes between the server and the different users will be different. What is a bad server for one person could well be a great server for someone else. On the server I play on most of the time (Red Shift), my ping is rarely above 40, while I regularly see others with pings above 1000. (They really should be experimenting with other servers.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My whole point is - I want my faction to grow and become known. Simple examples - when you say " CR " , everyone already knows what you are talking about. Same for when you say " NFD (previously DFN) " , " TE " , etcetera.
    I'm active in the community and I recognize none of those. I am betting plenty of others wouldn't either unless they play there.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    they just need smaller pirates then the amount of ships that cause you this insane lag will severly decrease. i myself have the same problem as you jorgekorke

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The benefits of voting are not overpowered such as teleporting anywhere a voter wishes and relies more on game mechanics.
    Any server that gives out commands, money, or free blocks for voting is not a server that I will ever want part of. I find it ridiculous that they have to bribe the players just to stay at the top of the server list.