True 64x64 Default Pack

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    With the looming end to the default texture pack and my distaste for Kupus packs I decided to tweak the default textures (Kupu is a great artist I just personally don't like his base textures). Most of the default textures are a 32x32 texture just scaled up to fit the rest of the 64x64. I thought it would be easy to do a 1 to 1 conversion of the textures but that proved to be more difficult than I had figured. While most of them were simple to convert, like the hulls, more detailed textures like the computers and weapons proved troublesome. I only re-did a few of the textures before falling out of favor with starmade for a while but I picked it up again last weekend to update the gravity modules.

I'm not sure how well this screenshot displays the changes (click to enlarge) as most of them are minor, add few pixels here remove a few there. The best thing though is because it's a translation/conversion even incomplete all new textures still fit in with the rest.

Anyway, to the point. This is pretty much done for my own personal use and I am no texture artist by any stretch so I can't guarantee complete conversion of all textures but I will be keeping it up to date for myself. I wanted to know if anybody is interested in getting their hands on the textures, if so I can make them available and updated.

Download current release here: http://starmadedock.net/content/svens-true-64x64-old-style-textures.239/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    nice its like you drawned it where could we download it ?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    This would be nice for the die hard originals

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    With the looming end to the default texture pack and my distaste for Kupus packs I decided to tweak the default textures (Kupu is a great artist I just personally don't like his base textures). Most of the default textures are a 32x32 texture just scaled up to fit the rest of the 64x64. I thought it would be easy to do a 1 to 1 conversion of the textures but that proved to be more difficult than I had figured. While most of them were simple to convert, like the hulls, more detailed textures like the computers and weapons proved troublesome. I only re-did a few of the textures before falling out of favor with starmade for a while but I picked it up again last weekend to update the gravity modules.

I'm not sure how well this screenshot displays the changes (click to enlarge) as most of them are minor, add few pixels here remove a few there. The best thing though is because it's a translation/conversion even incomplete all new textures still fit in with the rest.

Anyway, to the point. This is pretty much done for my own personal use and I am no texture artist by any stretch so I can't guarantee complete conversion of all textures but I will be keeping it up to date for myself. I wanted to know if anybody is interested in getting their hands on the textures, if so I can make them available and updated.
    is there an ETA when we could get the download of it ?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I"m not sure when I'll get it uploaded but I see enough interest I don't want to put it off to long. I need a proper name for it too.

Do you need any help...
    If anybody has redrawn some of the original textures I would love to get a look at them for inspiration or just add them to the pack with permission. There are so many textures I have not even started working on and others I've tried but not had results I've liked.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is awesome! I'm glad the old textures didn't die, as I was quite fond of them.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I am trying to get into creating my own texture so I am wondering what are some basic steps that I can do to create one.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I am trying to get into creating my own texture so I am wondering what are some basic steps that I can do to create one.
    That question would be better asked of kupu I'm not that much of an artist myself, I just know my way around photoshop.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Finally got some time to work on the texture pack, (yay insomnia). I worked on the un-hardened hull so it is now consistent across all colors

I'm still messing with some of the shading and I may go back to the deeper shadows that the pack currently has for it's grey hull but I have not decided yet.

Beyond the hull texture I've done a couple other various tweaks including matching the animated enhancers textures with the existing and am trying out a texture for the docking module.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wooo yeah!
    Also, you inspired me to make a 256x356 version.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i am really liking this, wil it also work for the items/iventory?
    The build icons are not part of texture packs, I hope this will change in the future as having the icons not match the actual texture pack is very confusing. You could potentially replace the file manually with an older copy when the game still used the original textures and I'll include a copy and instructions on how to change it next time I release an updated pack.

Reaction score
    The build icons are not part of texture packs, I hope this will change in the future as having the icons not match the actual texture pack is very confusing. You could potentially replace the file manually with an older copy when the game still used the original textures and I'll include a copy and instructions on how to change it next time I release an updated pack.
    that would be great i do get mixed up alot of the times still,

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I remember one time I made a quick-fix for the Old NASS Textures. Those were...how do I put it lightly? The biggest ugliest pieces of crap ever. Basically I just replaced all the textures with the normal ones except for the custom blocks.