Transporters

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I'm surprised I haven't thought of this yet, or anyone, but Transporters.

Can transport through unshielded ships, and from other unshielded locations up to 5km away (Unless there are jammers in the vicinity) can be remotely accessed using a transponder ( A device you hold, that when paired with the transporter, transports you back when used.

Reactions: Jaaskinal

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm surprised I haven't thought of this yet, or anyone, but Transporters.

Can transport through unshielded ships, and from other unshielded locations up to 5km away
    I Think the range should be longer than 5km, traveling that distance is inconsequential, at 50kmph that only takes six minutes. There are servers that have higher speed limits, Illusive and Nass both let you go up to 150kmph if I remember rightly, that would be a trip where you saved two minutes of travel time. If the range goes up to 50km you save 20 minutes, I would say that that would be well worth any amount of required power.

Reaction score
    I Think the range should be longer than 5km, traveling that distance is inconsequential, at 50kmph that only takes six minutes. There are servers that have higher speed limits, Illusive and Nass both let you go up to 150kmph if I remember rightly, that would be a trip where you saved two minutes of travel time. If the range goes up to 50km you save 20 minutes, I would say that that would be well worth any amount of required power.

Maybe. Maybe the more power it has to use, the further it could transport.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Maybe. Maybe the more power it has to use, the further it could transport.
    Also the size of the mass of the ship could also change the amount of power required

Reaction score
    I hope you are reminded that this is why they are spaceships, because they travel, over the vast sea of space.
    In short that might ruin the idea.

Reaction score
    I hope you are reminded that this is why they are spaceships, because they travel, over the vast sea of space.
    In short that might ruin the idea.
    This idea only came to my head because when I have an enormous ship, and I try to leave it somewhere to get out and go somewhere, I either end up knocking where I want to go 2 sectors, or dwarf it so much, that I can't get close to it, and it ends up taking me 5-10 minutes to get there, just because my ship is big.

Reaction score
    I think we are thinking about transporters for two completely separate reasons.
    I also want it because of quick troop placement, and if you're chasing a ship because of someone on it, you only need to lower it's shields, not disable it. I'd also like it because I'm a lazy walker.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I also want it because of quick troop placement, and if you're chasing a ship because of someone on it, you only need to lower it's shields, not disable it. I'd also like it because I'm a lazy walker.
    there is a thing better than transporters => hyperspace :cool:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You should probably just use shuttles Elit, but either way...

I'm not really sure if I like or dislike transporters. Shields shouldn't be the requirement, but you shouldn't be able to transport while under fire, or to a non-allied ship. (unless some condition is met, no idea what that would be. Shields at 0%?)

Reaction score
    You should probably just use shuttles Elit, but either way...

I'm not really sure if I like or dislike transporters. Shields shouldn't be the requirement, but you shouldn't be able to transport while under fire, or to a non-allied ship. (unless some condition is met, no idea what that would be. Shields at 0%?)
    This is what I mean, you can't transport through shields, only if they're below 5% regardless of being a friendly or not. Jammers also block transporting back. ( You can still transport there, just not vice-versa)

Reaction score
    Transporters could be a very handy alternative to using shuttles to get from a large ship to a planet. The range should be short though, maybe a sector or two.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    5km is really long for instantaneous transport. Maybe a sector or two, or once we get multi-sector planets/station to any station on the same "entity"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'd much rather see limiting the options of transporting than making it unbelievably easy. I'm not talking about making it unnecessary hard, but more realistic. Plex storages, imo, should have limited storage size, etc (so transport ship would have a reason to exist). And at the time we dock ship, we should have access to the storages on station.

I've written much longer post on the old forum explaining how could it work

http://oldsite.star-made.org/content/freighters-and-moving-cargo

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Transporters were an extremely abusable deus-ex mechanic in every science fiction they were ever used in. So broken that most science fiction authors sent more time explaining why they couldn't be used to fix every conceivable problem than they did explaining how they worked.

• Want to go jump from Earth to Mars? Why warp when you could transport.
    • Need to escape the ship that's about to blow? Emergency Transporter to the rescue!
    • Hostile boarders? Not a problem, just transport them into space.
    • Want to board a ship? Why breach the hull or air lock and fight through a ships security personnel when you could just transport on to the bridge full of lightly armed officers.

And of course it only gets crappier as you expand on the absurdity of it all

• Who needs freighter pilots when we can just transport cargo to any in system planet??
    • If we can send people and freight, why not whole ships?
    • Hell why even have ships or orbital turrets, we can just transport nukes directly on board! ( Ex. Star Gate Atlantis )
    • Or just transport the enemy crew off their ship and into space!
    • Or hell why stop there, lets just transport their whole ship into a massive ship scrapping device.

Transporters are, will always be, and always have been a really poorly designed plot device for science fiction writers out of ideas. Surely Star made pilots are better than that!

Reactions: rece ktore leczo