Transporter Talk

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So we now have Transporters. Problem is, for me, using them totally drops your shields and you have to wait for them to recharge. Even if its someone else beaming onto your structure, even if its your own faction members beaming in.

For me, this means one thing. Only my faction home base will have transporters. My ships will not have them, my secondary stations will not have them, nothing I build that has shields will have a transporter.

My faction home will have lots of them as site to site transporters to make getting from a remote docked ship to the central area of the station easier, but right now with those shield drops the transporters are limited to being glorified elevators as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally I don't mind the shields dropping while the teleport is happening but I strongly think they should return to their previous state shortly after. It adds a little bit of danger while using the mechanic without completely crippling a ship. The current mechanic also favors one build style over an other which is bad, imho, in a mostly sandbox building game. Ships designed with low cap, high recharge are significantly better suited for transporters than those designed to recharge slowly outside of combat but have a ton of capacity.

There is also a suggestion here talking about the shield drop issue: http://starmadedock.net/threads/transporters-shouldnt-drop-shields-to-0.21678/

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, I didn't want to weigh in on if they should drop or not, just accepting that this is how they are now and that due to the current restrictions they have a very small niche for me (which another threat in Suggestions is arguing should be removed, which would make transporters absolutely worthless to me).

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We now really need a way to temporarily drop shields, so that we can raise them at full strength when needed. Like after a transport. Transport and shield coordination then becomes a fun skill mechanic in the game.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    We now really need a way to temporarily drop shields, so that we can raise them at full strength when needed. Like after a transport. Transport and shield coordination then becomes a fun skill mechanic in the game.
    I wouldn't be apposed to this but I think it's over complicating the issue for exactly the same end, (shields returning back to their previous strength).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As someone who hasn't been in combat in the game, I don't see a problem with the requirement that shields drop, and then you have to use the shield rechargers to wait for the shields to come back up. If the shields stop beam weapons, they should stop teleporter beams as well.

The difference between your ship's shields allowing you to fire a beam weapon and allowing you to teleport is the matter transmission. It's a more delicate process in my mind, one that you would not want fancy sci-fi science from preventing.

Reaction score
    As someone who hasn't been in combat in the game, I don't see a problem with the requirement that shields drop, and then you have to use the shield rechargers to wait for the shields to come back up. If the shields stop beam weapons, they should stop teleporter beams as well.

The difference between your ship's shields allowing you to fire a beam weapon and allowing you to teleport is the matter transmission. It's a more delicate process in my mind, one that you would not want fancy sci-fi science from preventing.
    The problem is that they drop the whole way, not just part. This make transporters useless on ships, and only useful on stations if they are at no risk of being attacked.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Its just a balancing factor, although I see why youd find it anoying.
    Just think about what happens when you have to manualy take a shuttle over..... your a potiential one-shot for any ship (especialy cloaked) within range... who could then go and take your ship. Ive seen it happen.
    Having to endure a sheild recharge is far more prefrable than exposing yourself.

Its basically a choice between exposing you, or your ship.

Also, in Star Trek they had to lower sheilds to beam people around so they wouldn't do it much during combat.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I was a bit concerned that this mechanic would make the transporter useless but i found that you can transport between docked entities without any penalty.

more testing is needed but I'm currently thinking of ways of creating teleport gangplanks/landing gears/docking arms

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I don't see a problem with the shield drop requirement. As you can't teleport on to enemy ships during combat (unless they leave theirs on public...) this shouldn't even be arising as an issue. Outside of combat where do you need shields? This is just how I view it. Are you teleporting to friendly ships in the middle of a battle? Within your own ship? If so... why? Unless you're role-playing, I can't think of a reasonable.. reason.

I think this mechanic is totally fine, if someone catches you with your pants down teleporting places they deserve to be able to bend you over.

Reactions: Tunk
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Its just a balancing factor, although I see why youd find it anoying.
    Just think about what happens when you have to manualy take a shuttle over..... your a potiential one-shot for any ship (especialy cloaked) within range... who could then go and take your ship. Ive seen it happen.
    Having to endure a sheild recharge is far more prefrable than exposing yourself.

Its basically a choice between exposing you, or your ship.

Also, in Star Trek they had to lower sheilds to beam people around so they wouldn't do it much during combat.
    Yes but in Startrek the shields instantly return to the state that they were in.

I don't see a problem with the shield drop requirement. As you can't teleport on to enemy ships during combat (unless they leave theirs on public...) this shouldn't even be arising as an issue. Outside of combat where do you need shields? This is just how I view it. Are you teleporting to friendly ships in the middle of a battle? Within your own ship? If so... why? Unless you're role-playing, I can't think of a reasonable.. reason.

I think this mechanic is totally fine, if someone catches you with your pants down teleporting places they deserve to be able to bend you over.
    As somebody who favorites capacity over recharge rate outside of combat regeneration still takes a while. I don't want to beam up to my ship from a planet and have to sit there while the capacity returns before getting underway. I am not saying shields shouldn't drop as part of the balance but flushing the capacity down the toilet and having to recharge from nothing feels like to steep a penalty.

Reaction score
    Has anyone tried putting the transporter on a separate docked entity? Or would that still drop the shields when going to another undocked entity?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Has anyone tried putting the transporter on a separate docked entity? Or would that still drop the shields when going to another undocked entity?
    I have, it dropped the shields of the docked entity and the entity it was docked to.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

Pretty much this, I don't see why people should be able to travel between undocked ships with no danger at all. The shields dropping simulates what would happen if you were currently flying between ships (aka you get bent over).

I do agree with the fact that shields should go back to their previous value after a certain time though. Like, they should drop to 0, wait time and go all the way back up to what they were prior to the teleportatio .

Reaction score
    I have, it dropped the shields of the docked entity and the entity it was docked to.
    Ah, bummer. Even if it hadn't, it likely would have been patched regardless.

So what about a Hacking and Transport Disperser module/computer? If a ship has a Hacking Comp and enough modules they can break through the faction restriction and beam aboard, but if the defending ship has enough TD modules then the transporter system is protected.

Could pave way to having ships designed specifically for teleboarding enemy vessels