Transphasic Missile, Solution to Missile - Shield - hull problem.

What do you think of this idea?

• Yes! Great Idea!

Votes: 2 16.7%
    • Good idea but could do with some work.

Votes: 3 25.0%
    • Good idea but (see below).

Votes: 1 8.3%
    • Not sure...

Votes: 2 16.7%
    • No.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I was playing Star Trek Online earlier and got a transphasic torpedo launcher as a reward for a mission, I wouldn't normally have thought much of this and probably recycled it but on this occasion I had been thinking about Star-made and the main problems it faces, Butter hull, Missiles were next to useless against shields(don't know if this still applies) and ftl,but that's a whole other story.
    • The stats on the torpedo are it does less damage than your average torpedo launcher, but 40% of that damage bypasses shields.
    • Now picture this, you are in your ship, made purely out of system blocks. An enemy comes along with a big ass transphasic missile launcher and while 60% of damage is absorbed, it is still able to destroy a large chunk of the ship you so lovingly spent hours building.
    • Hence hull becomes relevant to at least minimize the damage done by these missiles and buy you more time,because if they hit your shield blocks enough with this thing, they get rid of your 10 mil capacity, tear through your shields and core drill you.
    Ideas?

Reactions: Ciggofwar

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No... STO and Starmade are completely different games. Having torps that bypass shields is fine in a game where hull regenerates, but here, once you lose your hull, it doesn't come back until you place more down, and there sadly aren't Hazard Emitters or Engineering Teams (Or that annoying Undine healing ability) that can automagically restore it. It would be really annoying to be flying around and suddenly have someone punching holes in your intricately-detailed hull through your 100k shields. (By the way, though, which transphasic torpedo was it? Because if it's the Rapid-Reload one you get from that one Breen mission, you should probably keep it... it's a really nice piece of gear. I still use mine.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If i build 10 mil shield ship i don't want it to be damaged by small ships. But on the other hand it would make small bombers more valuable... But then bigger ships would do pretty much damage to my ship regardless of how many shield i've put. But the damage dealt by this missiles would be lower than normal ones.
    Maybe if there was a way to shoot down the missiles i could put some PD turrets, but then missiles would need buffing because they would be more useless comparing to other weapon systems.
    And there is also the effect system in the new weapons update, i don't think there is "shield piercing" module but maybe it would be possible to make this happen.

Ahh, so many "but"s and unanswered questions, i can't decide, so my answer is "not sure..."

Reactions: Ciggofwar

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    And there is also the effect system in the new weapons update, i don't think there is "shield piercing" module but maybe it would be possible to make this happen.
    There IS a Piercing Effect Module... but seeing as none of that stuff works right now, I have no idea if it's talking about shields or just blocks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Piercing effect is mentioned to pierce multiple blocks, instead of being able to shoot through the shields. I think shooting through shields would be too powerful, and if implemented should have some drawbacks.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ciggofwar

Home of Titan Guard
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This goes back to my days of playing Starwars Galaxies where they played and toyed with different generators for shields, shielding for laser and shield for kinetic as damage migration, and having weapon balances in both categories, unfortunately missiles do have kinetic damages and should migrate this damage to the area being affected. I think offering options towards the blocks being used and the materials that go into making said build block affecting the ratio's, the builder, the shipwright is seeking for protecting the integrity of the hull, component's and personal. and also the ability of the shielding to have the same ratio in aspects of migration of damages. This way Jonny Pirate who makes a dirt ship from his dirt hanger loaded with just missiles and engines has little game affective against a "shipwright" builder who has provide the necessary defenses and time invested. So with any "military" your always going to see counter measures against said designs, such as chaff flares, explosive amour, nanite repair, counter implosive missiles, radar jamming and a whole slue of optional ideals. This always comes down to gameplay and balances including the economics of a build and the desire to compete on various levels of the game.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There should never be a weapon that ignores shields because it makes all other weapons obsolete, and would be OP no matter how you try to balance it. If we had bleed effect when shields got low or random "lucky shots" that get through, those would be the only shield piercing I'd be okay with.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There should never be a weapon that ignores shields because it makes all other weapons obsolete, and would be OP no matter how you try to balance it. If we had bleed effect when shields got low or random "lucky shots" that get through, those would be the only shield piercing I'd be okay with.
    The problem with "lucky shots" is that it makes shotguns the most reliable gun, because they fire more shots and are therefore more likely to pierce.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The problem with "lucky shots" is that it makes shotguns the most reliable gun, because they fire more shots and are therefore more likely to pierce.
    Yeah this was the biggest flaw in the game "Gratuitous Space Battles" The user generated fleets often contained tanks which had so much armor that every shot did "no effect" and the only time you could pierce the ship was with a "lucky shot" making fighters the best against them.

An easy solution would be to make the power of the gun directly correlated to the chance to pierce, so only bigger guns will ever be able to randomly peirce ships. I'm not saying I want this, I'm just saying it's one of the only forms of shield penetration I would be okay with. Perhaps you even need a weapon mod to grand this miniscule chance to the weapon.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...Then shotguns should get a lower chance of a critical (lucky) hit happening.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or "lucky shots" can only happen so often. (based on shield area - for ease of calculations, just take the max cross-sectional areas of front,top,right and use those). So basically the lucky shot has a chance to happen, and then won't happen again for another 5 seconds.