Transmitter block allows ships to show up on galacitic map

Reaction score
    A thought I had while trying to track down a destroyer I unwisely handed over to an over-zealous AI block: Transmitter blocks! With these on a ship, players will be able to see ships in transit on the galactic map. There are also some other functions and filters to give this idea more functionality. For example, you could have multiple transmission settings: Distress signal, willingness to trade, need combat assistance, able to provide services, looking for allies, etc. Now, I know what you're thinking, "Distress signal? You might as well be ringing the pirate dinner bell!" On the contrary, this block would have an optional faction filter, so only members of your faction could see things like distress signals and whatnot. Besides, there are no checks to see if you're actually in distress. A "damaged" ship could be put out for bait, and in the shadows a sector away lurks a heavily armed battle ship ready to move in and obliterate any pirates that come along... or those who put out the bait could be pirates themselves. Likewise, those coming to "help" could be pirates or genuinely concerned star citizens. Overall, it seems like a level playing field, pirate vs actual distress wise.

Oh yeah, the more blocks you have on a ship, the farther the transmission range. That seems important to mention. You can also just deactivate it at any time if you want.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Like it.
    Link a display-block to the antenna with something like: "[type: trade, distress, help, …]\n[encryptions: ownfac2394521, …]".
    To receive, you need a type and an encryption match.
    Just send the data to the client and filter types + encryptions that the client didn't register (alphabetically sorted and indexed or hashed it shouldn't be a performance-drain).​

Reaction score
    Like it.
    Link a display-block to the antenna with something like: "[type: trade, distress, help, …]\n[encryptions: ownfac2394521, …]".
    To receive, you need a type and an encryption match.
    Just send the data to the client and filter types + encryptions that the client didn't register (alphabetically sorted and indexed or hashed it shouldn't be a performance-drain).​
    Yeah! Didn't think of that. If you make the encryption actually part of the game, that could add a whole new dimension to faction warfare: digital espionage. Imagine infiltrating your enemy's ship or base to learn their transmission codes. Knowing where all your enemy's ships are and whether or not they're heavily damaged can be a massive advantage

Oh yeah, this could also be a potential quest-like thing. NPC Pirates transmit distress signals to lure you in... but also damaged trade ships will do the same. If you help the trade ship [or perhaps in a later update, tow it to the nearest store] they'll reward you with higher trade faction reputation, discounts, or credits

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I believe what you are describing is the IFF System.
    I like. However...
    • It should apply to stations as well
    • The range should be standardized (not size dependent)
    • It should be part of the basic ship systems, not requiring an addition block. (Maybe part of the core or faction block?)
    • Obviously, you should be able to turn it on/off

$0.02

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like. However...
    • It should be part of the basic ship systems, not requiring an addition block. (Maybe part of the core or faction block?)
    $0.02
    If there is a standard, we should comply as far as practical.
    Wikipedia "IFF System" (BTW: wow no user has that name) : "The broadest characterization is that of friend, enemy, neutral, or unknown."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_transponder_interrogation_modes
    5bit/2octal mission code, 12bit/4octal unit code, 12bit/4octal ID, then altitude, 3 pulse-reply and cryptographic Mode-S and GPS-coordinates.
    All but ID and altitude are military.
    Mode-S contains 24bit address for each craft + other information in a custom format.
    I think we should take the filter categories "[align: friend, enemy, neutral, unknown]", only usable for the receiver.

Reaction score
    I like. However...

$0.02
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, though I don't know how many people know about IFF systems. XD

If there is a standard, we should comply as far as practical.
    Wikipedia "IFF System" (BTW: wow no user has that name) : "The broadest characterization is that of friend, enemy, neutral, or unknown."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_transponder_interrogation_modes
    5bit/2octal mission code, 12bit/4octal unit code, 12bit/4octal ID, then altitude, 3 pulse-reply and cryptographic Mode-S and GPS-coordinates.
    All but ID and altitude are military.
    Mode-S contains 24bit address for each craft + other information in a custom format.
    I think we should take the filter categories "[align: friend, enemy, neutral, unknown]", only usable for the receiver.
    You could turn on and off specific filters of the transmitter, both broadcasting and recieving. For example if you're flying behind enemy lines, you don't want to transmit that you're a hostile... but you might need to let your friends know where you are if you're co-coordinating an offensive.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You could turn on and off specific filters of the transmitter, both broadcasting and recieving. For example if you're flying behind enemy lines, you don't want to transmit that you're a hostile... but you might need to let your friends know where you are if you're co-coordinating an offensive.
    If you send something, it's received by all - so don't send to your enemies.
    But you can use passwords, except no use of unknown passwords is allowed :p

Reaction score
    I love this idea. I, however, have another idea.

What if in addition to this IFF system, we had a quantum entangled communicator, a communication device based on the idea of quantum entanglement?

In case you don't know what quantum entanglement is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement .

In short, scientists are currently discussing ways of testing using quantum entanglement as a way to make communication devices for space travel. If they are successful, we could send a space convoy to Mars and talk with them through this quantum communication device as if they were standing here next to us. No delay, no radio waves, or wireless communication method would be used. Therefore no means of being hacked. However, noting that it's extremely complicated to make or even conceive making, and the methods being discussed require huge devices and VERY stable environments, there is a question of if it will be feasible anytime soon IRL.

How this relates to my game idea is why don't we add Quantum Communication blocks to the game. They would need to be about 12 blocks in size I'd imagine. Or you need 12 of them for it to function. The device would work the same as the block that was being discussed here in the first post, but it would not have the vulnerability of being hacked. As such it would need to be EXTREMELY expensive to balance. Also it would probably only be desired on large faction ships or capital ships as a means of secure communication.

Let me know what you think.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    Now this is an idea! Good work, you could also set it to faction only so the rest of your faction know where you burnt up next to the sun!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

What if in addition to this IFF system, we had a quantum entangled communicator, a communication device based on the idea of quantum entanglement?

In case you don't know what quantum entanglement is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement .

In short, scientists are currently discussing ways of testing using quantum entanglement as a way to make communication devices for space travel. If they are successful, we could send a space convoy to Mars and talk with them through this quantum communication device as if they were standing here next to us. No delay, no radio waves, or wireless communication method would be used. Therefore no means of being hacked. However, noting that it's extremely complicated to make or even conceive making, and the methods being discussed require huge devices and VERY stable environments, there is a question of if it will be feasible anytime soon IRL.

How this relates to my game idea is why don't we add Quantum Communication blocks to the game. They would need to be about 12 blocks in size I'd imagine. Or you need 12 of them for it to function. The device would work the same as the block that was being discussed here in the first post, but it would not have the vulnerability of being hacked. As such it would need to be EXTREMELY expensive to balance. Also it would probably only be desired on large faction ships or capital ships as a means of secure communication.

But how would you hack radio-transmitters if they triangulate each other's positions and use directed radio waves and antennas?
    Although for it to work, you need to already know where/what - no broadcasting.
    Quantum stuff may work as if constantly syncing each other too.​

I worry this would SET sort of a minimum drone size, once hacking is possible. At least as a second step after drones that are too small to be hacked efficiently (hacking device costs more than the drone).

Reaction score

What if [...] we had a quantum entangled communicator, a communication device based on the idea of quantum entanglement?
    Umm... there already is an instant, invulnerable, unlimited range transmission device in game, called the Wireless Logic Module. If you're more after the communications aspect of it, you can use "/pm username" in chat.

I think the idea is to create ways that can be intercepted, as a means to add eavesdropping, triangulation, and a need for en-/decryption in order to broaden the possible gameplay options.

To enable that, chat and private messages should have a range, or rather their point of origin on a side channel visible only to the server, and would only be forwarded to the receiver if it is within a certain distance.
    That distance could depend on transceiver/antenna systems, with an always available, minimum range guaranteed by the core. The maximum range would be determined server-side by the combined transmitting (sender) and receiving (receiver/eavesdropper) systems, and could be recalculated on sector or system change events to keep computational overhead low.
    When a ship transmits, the server checks to see which other ships can receive the message, and only then forwards it to the respective clients. At the same time, the sender's position could be marked/updated on the map.
    Ideally, even wireless logic modules etc. would be integrated into that system, and could be used to send automated pings as suggested in the OP.

Encryption could be handled in an abstract way depending on a cryptoterminal and cryptoprocessors, letting the game decide whether or not you could partially or fully decode a particular message, or it could require factions to assign a password that other players can try to guess, steal, social engineer, bruteforce, or whatever.

For minimal functionality, say for a one system wide, fighter or patrol craft comms range, it wouldn't have to require additional blocks; it could just as well be part of the faction module (if you want encryption), and the core itself (if plaintext is sufficient).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    To enable that, chat and private messages should have a range, or rather their point of origin on a side channel visible only to the server, and would only be forwarded to the receiver if it is within a certain distance.
    That distance could depend on transceiver/antenna systems, with an always available, minimum range guaranteed by the core. The maximum range would be determined server-side by the combined transmitting (sender) and receiving (receiver/eavesdropper) systems, and could be recalculated on sector or system change events to keep computational overhead low.
    When a ship transmits, the server checks to see which other ships can receive the message, and only then forwards it to the respective clients. At the same time, the sender's position could be marked/updated on the map.
    Ideally, even wireless logic modules etc. would be integrated into that system, and could be used to send automated pings as suggested in the OP.
    The Quantum Communication Device (QCD) would not shut out the possibility of other transmission devices which could be hacked. I did not make that clear, but my idea is to incorporate both a hack-able tracking/communication signal, and the QCD for secure, instant, and any distance transmission.

The QCD would act as the highest tier communication device in this scenario being VERY expensive, while other devices may be very cheap if you see what I'm saying. I pretty much never want to shut out existing devices, or IRL devices that may be fun to have in game.

For instance, think about the current variation of transmission devices we use on earth. We use Radio, Inferred, Light transmission satellites, sound waves(this is actually what dial up is in case you didn't know), and there are lots more. I think we should try to have near the same amount of different communication or tracking devices as we do IRL.

This would add an element of immersion to the game and also it allows you to have tiny ships with cheaper communication devices that may take up only one block, but allow short-range, intercept-able transmissions. It also allows you to have better communication with the more space you have for it, and the money to build or buy it.

Take no offense though, I am always open to ideas and suggestions about starmade. I see it's potential.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1453565141,1453564273][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I worry this would SET sort of a minimum drone size, once hacking is possible. At least as a second step after drones that are too small to be hacked efficiently (hacking device costs more than the drone).
    I have a solution for this. Add long-range radio transmitters to the game. They broadcast in a perfect circle around them like radio, the more modules you have the faster the transmission is received by the recipient. If you think about radio in space it can take a very long time for signals to reach places, but eventually a radio signal will reach anywhere in the direction it is headed, but it gets weaker when hitting other waves and it can be canceled with a wave exactly like its own. This would add a hackable, cheap, with no range limit, way to transmit locations, discoveries, and possibly map data if we have an explorable map in the future. Make it so it takes 4 seconds to reach each solar system per block. so if you were four solar systems away from a drone you made then it would take 16 seconds for you to get the signal. To add more of the long-range radio transmitter blocks would reduce the time it takes by 25% of the total per additional block.

Reactions: MTGraves