tractor beam

Reaction score
    When there\'s a reason to have one.

Why do you want a tractor beam? It has no use in combat or building, one to have one reason would be to troll people by moving their ships around, but you can do that just as easily by slamming into it. The only other reason would be to give ships a way of destroying smaller ships by holding them in place, but limiting or distorting someone\'s movement by giving one side an incredible advantage for little to no skill undermines the point of a skill-based game and rewards neither the person using or the person victim to the beam.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the same could be said for the power draw beam or the cloaking device. I like the idea of a tractor beam, it would help a lot if I could simply drag my haul back to my base. Another idea is it works like in Star trek online where it imobilizes you for a few seconds.

To avoid the trolls have it work just like any other weapon and not function in protected areas.

Also you could have a counter to it so you could break it.

Reaction score
    I agree with Frizz, this would be a nice addition to the game. It would help a lot with moving things around. To make it so that players are not gaining an unfair advantage, you will need a huge amount of power and it will have an non-scaling range limit. and the amount of mass it can move should be dependent on the amount of tractor blocks.

This should make it nearly impossible to troll other player, but you can also just troll people with your MASSIVE SHOTGUN!!!, so what does it matter!!?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You could require a target lock in the same way the missiles work. That way breaking the target lock would be a defense against it. Also the beam would only last as long as you had power, like the cloaking device works. Its mass movement ability would be a function of how many tractor blocks you had as well as available thrust of your own ship. This keeps it in line with the other abilities. With it being not too overpowered but still useful.

This mechanic would make things like asteroid tugs a fun addition. Also you could use them to lob large masses at bases and ships. Assuming collision damage is on....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I\'d say that shileeds would also have to be down on your target. Also, more beam blocks=greater mass moving threshold.

Imagine two capital ships having a tug of war.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This could be used helpfully as well, for things such as moving asteroids out of one\'s way, or saving a ship from colliding into yours. (Or, for that matter, dragging another ship along with you when you don\'t happen to have access to large docking equipment or a second player... this happened to me a few times.)

I think that pulsers could perhaps break tractor beams, if they\'re powerful enough... it should depend on the array size of both the tractor beam and the pulser.

Reaction score
    Well I\'m starting to like the limitations on the tracter beam to keep it from being abused.

The Locking system, mass restriction, and power drain.

At the very least it wouldn\'t be abused if it was added.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tractor beams would be great for move non- ship items, i know i would love to be able to use it to move a part of the dock on the space station, or be able to move around one of my ships, for safety u can just make it so that it can only be used on non-faction items, players owned objects or faction owned objects, this way it cant be used on enemy factions and there is no problem with trolling of the unit!