Tractor Beam

Reaction score
    I'd like one, would be useful when bringing friend's powerless/engineless ship into safety after battle or steering asteroid clear from space station/big ship construction site. The power used would depend of size of thing you try to move.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why not have your friend dock on your ship, you can move it that way.

Also asteroids are mini planets, they don\'t move on their own. Allowing them to move would then allow someone to have a larger ship and simply move stations, shops or planets around too!

Reaction score
    Why not have your friend dock on your ship, you can move it that way.

There may be few reasons:

- Friend is from another faction or factionless and can\'t dock.

- Both ships, for whatever reason lacks docking port

Allowing them to move would then allow someone to have a larger ship and simply move stations, shops or planets around too!

I\'d say WHY THE HECK NO? Large/powerful enough ship should be able to move stations/shops/planets if that\'s what pilot/captain of it wants. Seems cool to me and since at start you get just enough resources to build small fighter, for big enough ship to move planet you\'d need to actually work to get enough money to build it. Plus tractor beam wouldn\'t be cheapest thing in the world exactly either.

Reaction score
    Docking is a ton of work to get right for a random ship. The docking area has to be big enough.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would support having a non factioned docking unit option on a factioned ship, I would not support tractor trolls trolling anyone\'s ship at will anywhere else that they may want.

If you make a single tractor beam 100,000,000 credits, it wouldn\'t mean anything when you money cap within a day.

As for the why not part.. \'Don\'t mind me, I\'m just taking every shop from within the 3x3x3 sector from spawn >:)\'

Reaction score
    If you make a single tractor beam 100,000,000 credits, it wouldn\'t mean anything when you money cap within a day.

Whoa, Batman! That cost is too big! Personally I think it should be like 100,000 creds.

As for the why not part.. \'Don\'t mind me, I\'m just taking every shop from within the 3x3x3 sector from spawn >:)\'

Griefing can be achieved in various ways. And I\'d imagine that either

a) admins would be able to block usage of tractor beams

b) there would be some device that could break any tractor beams in effect on your ship

And for moving shops, etc. - you can always fly to other sector or wait till person in question logs out to move them back. Or if you\'re admin and server rules forbids moving shops from that sector, just ban guy into oblivion.

Over all, this mechanic will bring lot of fun to the game. And about griefing thing. I can (which doesn\'t mean I would - I am against griefing of any kind) grief starting sector pretty badly. How? Ship cores and disintegrators. You take ship core, spawn it with random name, then put disintegrator on every side. You have nice mine from just one core and 6 disintegrators. Repeat process and you pretty much mined whole starting sector.

So argument that something MAY be used for griefing is just strawman argument. Mechanic itself is fun and useful and as previous paragraph has shown, you can grief things pretty badly even now - and worse if you\'d used tractor beam.

And just random person wouldn\'t be able to do \"shoplifting\". Heavier structure is - more power (both engine and actual power) is needed to move it = bigger ship is needed or MANY small ones. So person would need to be long-term player on server and chances are that the word of planned operation would get out and people in question would be punished (either by banning them, or more elegantly destroying almost finished ship, perhaps with my mine design).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    100,000 is cheap change. I said you can money cap or 2,150,000,000 in a day\'s time with alot of hours to spare. So this means you could have thousands of these beams, the amount is not a real limitation at that cost.

As for Disentigrator trolling.. That doesn\'t work if someone has a half decent ship. My 100 mass ship could give head first into a field of them and come out without a scratch, If you wish to troll spawn make bobby AI with dis attached to them and flag your faction as enemy to neutral. Claim a neutral shot at you and it declaired all neutrals as enemies, not your fault >:D.

You have yet to offer a balance for this. You say saying people will use it for griefing is a strawman, what legs does the idea that people won\'t abuse it stand on?

Reaction score
    100,000 is a reasonable price Nootau or are you new here?

Schema has mentioned numerouse times that yes as of yet money is extremely easy to get mainly because the main focus of the game now is building where eventually it will progress from surviving and then onto building. As it stands yes 100,000 is cheeaappp however for the progression of the game tractor beams seems a logical facet. Imagine this your flying around in your small speeder mayber a 50 mass ship. And you come across a GIANT 500K+ flagship and determine that your fucked... It would seem much more logical for the giant ship to tractor beam you in hold you in place and either loot you or destroy you. The fact that a tractor beam could be used for griefing is mute due to the fact that almost any facet of this game if exploited can be used to grief.

Reaction score
    instead of planets, asteroids and shops how about just ships powered or unpowerd, it would be like a strong tractor beam can pull a weaker thruster ship but not a stronger ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    100,000 does not seem like a reasonable number, unless you are a psycher Arlin. How can you say X is a reasonable price to a system that does not exist and you are not using anything as base referance? Seeing as you can tell the future, mind winning a few lottos for Schema and Beetlebear to help them out?

Now as for what I would so in my 50 Mass speeder is simple, they can\'t tractor what they can\'t see. I\'d cloak or just be more agile than the larger ship and double back on him and pop my radar jam so his turrets cannot fire at me nor can his KB missiles. FYI, you can\'t loot someone\'s ship if they are still in it, so the options are Kill me and leave my ship or Kill me and salvage my ship, there is no \'looting\'.

I oppose the idea not because you \'could\' grief with it, but because most of the use of this is made to just grief.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hmm, or this could be physically realistic and just drag both ships together, the one with most counter-thrust (manually done by the pilot) can actually resist/pull so you could drag a huge ship if you have huge thrust powered small vessel for towing... but there should be a way to allow/deny it if it\'s a friendly tool and not a weapon and the targeted ship is under someone\'s control...

If anyone seen Andromeda movie series, in the first episode a small vessel tows a huge battelship from a black hole, something like that should be possible... I mean, small ship dragging huge one, not black holes... but that might be an idea about space environment =)