Read by Council tow chains/ harpoons

Reaction score
    first off i want to state that, apparently the idea of a physical towing linkage is not new.

Tow Chains
    there are three parts to this idea:
    1. the launcher
    the block can act like a unlinked missile launcher. the computer will have two slave ports. launch modifier, and ability. as the launch modifier is basically the same on all weapon computers i wont touch on it. the ability port on the computer is were the computers for ion, push, or overdrive would be normally on any other weapon computer. on the tow chain computer it allows for support beams to be slaved. (except salvage) this allows you to supply or drain power and shields to or from an object when connected.
    i see the firing mechanic working like this fire harpoon with left click. retract the chain connected to object with right click.
    each launch tube block adds 10 meters to the tether

2. the projectile
    i see the projectile as a standard barbed harpoon with a cable or chain attached. it will be a physical object that when launched will fallow a straight path until the tether runs out. then the computer will enter cool down and reload but only if it does not connect. this varies with how many launch tube blocks there are and what is slaved as the launch modifier. the harpoon will bounce or be destroyed by shields over 25% and also can be destroyed by turrets as if they were missiles. when the harpoon connects with a ship or object it will embed into the block it hits dealing 10 points of damage to the block. harpoons stay connected until removed with ether a hand touch or shipyard repair.

3. the chain
    i see the chain in this game as being a semi physical object. that can be hit with weapons but players and ships can pass through them. chains will have some light health and can be broken with stress. the object being towed will have its own inertia so when a ship with an object in tow stops or changes direction the object continues until the chain goes taunt again or the object in tow collides with the object in front of it. the chain can be disconnected from an object when the player holds the retract key and taps the fire key. the launcher then enters its cooldown and reload.

Slaved computers and their effect.

cannon. a slave cannon will have harpoons fire without a tether.

missile. missile will fire multiple tethered harpoons from each tube chains are weaker but has a higher chance to hit as it covers a wider area.

Damage beam. Doubles the length of the chain for better reach with diminished impact.

Damage pulse. increases impact cuts length of chain.

Support beams

Astrotech. When slaved to the tow chains in the secound slot the object that the chains are pulling will slowly have surface blocks repaired from the point where the hapoon landed to a raidius of 3 blocks.

Supply sheild and power. When a supply computer is slaved the energy specified will travel down the chain and pump into attached object.

Drain sheild and power. Same as above but pulls energy from the attached object supplying it to the ship.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Cool idea! What if the tow chain didn't have slaves, but instead was an independent system like salvage beams?

Reaction score
    Cool idea! What if the tow chain didn't have slaves, but instead was an independent system like salvage beams?
    you can slave thaings to salvage like cannons and missles (though most commonly used is cannon) the thaing is this is half weapon half support and i want the tow chains to carry the enrgy from the ship to the object its attached to or viceverca

Reactions: WitherFireGaming

LunaIsBestPony

token ruskie
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    And why would you forgo docking to use a feature that will have legitimately no use at all when the capital systems update rolls out?

There is nothing that towing can't accomplish that docking does, with the exception of moving asteroids and stations, but there's a reason they're difficult/impossible to move.

Reaction score
    And why would you forgo docking to use a feature that will have legitimately no use at all when the capital systems update rolls out?

There is nothing that towing can't accomplish that docking does, with the exception of moving asteroids and stations, but there's a reason they're difficult/impossible to move.
    docking requires the docker and a rail to come into contact. not every ship is able to dock to eachother ether from size or shape of the docking ports. i also feel docking should be limited to be faction locked by default unless allowed by public permissions. a tow chain is universal tough slightly damaging and doesnt need to have the same constraints as a rail or docker. it also wont shut down the other ship as a docker would so they could pull away and break the restraints if they were strong enough.
    also you cant dock to an overheating ship (or it to you ) and i know alot of people don't want to get out of their battle cruisers to acquire the remnants of a ship until they get it away from where they found it as mostly they got it in a fight and sometime the fight isn't over when you kill the big ship (as those are the ones with the longest overheat timer and would be worth towing)