Torpedoes!

Reaction score
    hi people! so I saw someone messing with explosives with the new continuous momentum thing on a server im on sometimes and I was wondering if you could make torpedoes from this, after some messing around with several deaths from premature detonations (ahem) i found some basic rules regarding this idea.

I found that;

- torps 'misfire' at speeds greater than 20 and do eventually lose all momentum, so you need to be close and fairly slow

- they dont go through shields - meaning if you shield your ship the 'misfire' thing shouldnt effect you much, possibly throw you around a bit.

- a standard size torp (for me 6 high with all sides covered with another coloumn of 6) goes through 5-6 layers of hardened hull and 8-9 layers of normal hull. this doesnt seem to change unless you increase the amount of explosive blocks massivly - such as making the torp stupidly large.

- torps only work if the core you use to make them has all the explosive blocks on top of it so when you dock they face the right way - because when you dock the bottom of the core attaches to the dock; incase people didnt know.

Im still messing with this idea - and im sure others have had such ideas in the past and I am in no way trying to bellitle or claim credit, im just trying to get ideas out there for the people and fire torps at ships!

what have people found when experimenting with this concept? feel free to share if you found anything i missed or if something i said worked differently or better for you... and try to be civil. :)

Reaction score
    also forgot to mention, found that firing a torp stops your ship dead meaning you either need to back off to launch again or if your acceleration is ok let go and press forward again... nearly died to pirate when my torp test ship wasnt moving because of this XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i had the same problem where after the torpedo is fired, the ship completely stops.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    They need to make Bobby AI\'s be able to ram ships if they have any dis-integrators on it..

And they need to fix the bugs with them too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen

Or add a mode on the AI modules to \"smart missile/ torpedo\". They would mimic the behaviour of the seeker missiles, just with a ramming ship?

Reaction score
    hmm... like the AI assisted torp idea, another thing i have notcied is storing these torps has proven a problem, my idea was to have a carrier with torpedo armed bombers, as bombers against large ships cant usually get through the shields, with the carrier taking the shields down the bomber would then fire its torp using its better turning and speed to get close - however you would need two people or more for this - unless the idea for bobby guided torps came true, wonder if its worth mentioning on the suggestions thread - if it hasnt already

another problem is storage of \'reloads\' for my torps - as they are quite space eating and tend to go boom at the slightest impact with another entity.

thanks for the cool ideas, may even get some pics of peoples torpedo ships and their methods of delivery? soon as i figure out pictures ill put mine up XD

Reaction score
    i actually liked that, as it stops any possibility of your ship which will be going faster than the torp hitting the torp by accident and detonating it... but thats just me - and can be annoying when your also trying to dodge incoming fire from your target XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A couple of friends and I once tried to make torpedos, too. First dumb ones, then smart ones, then drones. None of those things appear to be particularly useful as of right now. Disintegrator blocks just don\'t seem to do enough damage to make torpedos useful. An AI option for continuously flying forward or ramming targets would make it less bad. As for drones, you just can\'t fit enough firepower into such a small area to make them really useful.