Too many entities?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sounds like a stupid question, but with the rail update I cant help but feel compelled to make EVERYTHING a movable part. My current build plans involve rail door entities on every room and every 20m of corridor. This combined with blast doors covering turrets, 2 stage hangar doors (8 sections in total)

Before I start to go too nuts with my entities, are there going to be any adverse effects for putting that many entities on one ship? (I'm already up to 35 entities without adding on turrets and I haven't started the corridors or the blast doors for the turrets, the main ship elevator and turret platforms for hidden turret... :/ )

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Im not entirely sure how optimized rails are atm but ive heard that massive amounts of rail turrets actually lags the hell out of your game when they go after a target.

In terms of design, its always better to try too keep the amount of moving parts to a minimum. Basically if you can help it, use plex doors over rails (plex doors are more optimized atm and require less space). until schema figures out a way to better integrate rail entities into the parent ship, I would hold off a bit on going crazy with moving parts.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    (Dev Build)
    I have atm around 25 turrets that move out of the ship on rails.
    When in SP I spawn a target ship my FPS plummets from around 70fps to 3fps and I end up being unable to move around and so either despawn the ship or if it gets destroyed to be able to do anything. Once this has been done the FPS returns to normal levels.

So yeah some optimization is needed as I wouldn´t dare use this ship on a multi player server.

Just to add I have a pretty good desk top, so its not my system. I had more than this amount of turrets on a ship with the old system and didn`t have this problem.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    hmm, thats disappointing. I was (optimistically perhaps) hoping for someone to be like "30? is that it? i've got hundreds and im fine!" Thanks for the replies though gents

Might have to develop a 'lite' version until rails are optimized :/... Well then... Peekie30, looks like I might have to use my time for another project :p

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well the Rail Turrets running on AI are the cause of the FPS drops, my guess is that its due to collision checks going crazy with the AI trying to turn the turrets further than they can. On none turret rails, i got a little prototype with 58 rail entities on it (none of them being a Turret or AI controlled), and i cant notice a FPS drop, unles i make the spinning parts stupidly fast, then i notice some slight fps drop.

Reactions: iceman6491
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well the Rail Turrets running on AI are the cause of the FPS drops, my guess is that its due to collision checks going crazy with the AI trying to turn the turrets further than they can. On none turret rails, i got a little prototype with 58 rail entities on it (none of them being a Turret or AI controlled), and i cant notice a FPS drop, unles i make the spinning parts stupidly fast, then i notice some slight fps drop.
    ahh, interesting. Well then! I guess i'll just have to guinea pig my ship then, see what effect it has :s

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The other issue I have found is that my "turret" hatches are meant to lower into the hull and move aside so allowing the turrets to rise up through the hole, but more often than not the hatches get stuck halfway through the move for no reason. They did work before so something has changed.

The reset rail turret command also causes the turrets base to glitch and not lower back into the hull. (Sad Face)

Reaction score
    The other issue I have found is that my "turret" hatches are meant to lower into the hull and move aside so allowing the turrets to rise up through the hole, but more often than not the hatches get stuck halfway through the move for no reason. They did work before so something has changed.

The reset rail turret command also causes the turrets base to glitch and not lower back into the hull. (Sad Face)
    Something I've noticed, which may or may not be your issue. It's important that the logic for your default state (turret down, hatch closed) is off. So like if you are using a flip-flop, things should be where they belong with it off. Otherwise what happens is you have something working just the way you want, but then shutdown, come back the next day and on reset everything goes to hell on you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have also noted this. My newes ship currently has 20 AM turrets and when i spawned in a Isanth to test it.....well lets just say that i do not plan on doing it anytime soon.
    All i can do for now i look at the turrets since they are useless.....