Too easy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello, I started to play this game about a week ago and noticed some very unsettling things about the game.

• It is incredibly easy to hit max credits from 10-20 minutes of just starting the game.

• Pirates or any enemies(killing trading guild for fun) are far and few inbetween once you venture like 10 sectors away from your spawn, And if you do find them you can take on 8 of them and kill them within 10 seconds =/.

• Is there any way to catalog sectors like making an intergalactic map by via exploration? example: 8,8,8 has pirate station, neutral station, 2 shops, and a nearby planet (on nav from center of sector)

Now I have my own server that my friends and I play on, is there any way i can edit how much things sell for or reduce the drop rate of things in the game or even cap the credits to something like 1million.

(just enough for one station instead of someone making an entire 5 sectors their faction HQ with tons of ships/turrets AI to kill all who venture too close).

I keep wiping my server because everyone gets max credits right in the beginning and just fly around ransacking shops of hulls,power,antimatter, buying like 1000 catalog ships and crashing my server, ect.. Also is there any way to increase the difficulty of pirates and the spawn rate.

And this is just a personal one but... how does one use a ``corner`` hull block..

Reaction score
    You do have to keep in mind, we are in Alpha I assume things are like this so we can test the mechanics the game is not finished by far. As for changing anything on the server, I\'m stuck there I don\'t run servers. As for the corner you use left-control to bring up the advance building interface, there you can rotate the corner.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes I know about advanced building and have tried rotating the corner block but it doesnt seem to be able to be used the way I think it is considering a regular block makes a better corner than this block =/. I know its in alpha but the devs encouraged tweaking and was wondering where i can go to tweak it myself.

Reaction score
    I can use corner blocks fairly well, its something you need to get used to. As I said I have no knowledge in server tweaking, so yeah no help there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You have to realized that the devs are working on features right now and not balance till the game is feature complete. Doing it yourself is a pretty good idea. Someone was able to make a modified economy server on reddit maybe you can ask them. Here is someone you can ask http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/1he8t8/as_part_of_making_a_server_with_a_balanced/

Also you can make pirates use catalog ships so you can increase the diff\' that way

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    All you have to do is bring up the launcher, then click start game, then before you load the game, click the \"Modding\" option at the top-right.

This will open up the block editing tool. By tweaking the sell prices for things like Cactus, Ice Crystal, Glass, Level5 Ore, etc. you can help slow down the rate that players make money. I also recommend increasing the cost of hardened hull, sheild generators, weapons/salvage/missle computers and anything else that you think should cost more to purchase. Lastly, you need to open the server.cfg file in your StarMade directory and drastically reduce or even eliminate the loot gained from pirates/chests by editing these numbers:

AI_DESTRUCTION_LOOT_COUNT_MULTIPLIER = 0.1 //multiply amount of items in a loot stack. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    AI_DESTRUCTION_LOOT_STACK_MULTIPLIER = 0.2 //multiply amount of items spawned after AI destruction. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    CHEST_LOOT_COUNT_MULTIPLIER = 0.1 //multiply amount of items in a loot stack. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    CHEST_LOOT_STACK_MULTIPLIER = 0.1 //multiply amount of items spawned in chests of generated chests. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none

1.0 is for normal amounts of loot. 0.0 is for no loot at all. You can even use values like 0.01 if you want a tiny amount of loot instead of none.

After you have done all those things, you may find that it\'s still really profitable to harvest the Grey Hull and Black Hull blocks from abandoned stations and sell them. So I would recommend lowering the value of those (and possibly Yellow Hull as well, due to pyramids) to about 50 or 75 credits. This way players wont be able to make quite as much money from just salvaging abandoned stations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is also plexglass and ice crystals, though I think these are legitimate ways to make money. I reccomend making the build block cost more since (I hear) it is easy to place it on a planet and mine by deleting a 10x10x10 area with each click.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thank you for all the replies! They have been very helpful in my quest to stop my friends from making the game too easy, we catalog´d some ships for pirates to use.. the downside is that we catalog´d a huge mothership that absolutely destroys everything in its päth and even when we have the same ship fighting atleast 3 of them at a time is kinda hard (I believe its something like 360k shields or somethign i cant remember, not my ship) let alone trying to combat them when just starting out.

This time around my friend and I still got super rich from empty space stations, i was wondering if decreasing the value of items also decreases the shop value of the item to buy it. Or if there is a way to keep the shop item price higher than the selling price.

Also side note: I learned about power management from the starmade wiki yesterday and was able to accomplish better power usage, my question is how does this managment of the 5x4x4 xyz axis lines effect other things besides tanks and power supplies. like thrusters or weapons for that matter.

EDIT: Is there any way to decrease the credits cap or set one (we don´t know if there is a cap its just we usually end up with such a high number we no longer see its other digits and wutnot)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Unfortunately you can\'t make the buy and sell prices different. I would still recommend lowering the value of grey hull and black hull so that it\'s not quite so profitable to harvest abandoned stations. This does mean it will be cheaper to buy those colors, but most players use as little hull as possible on their ships anyway in order to keep the mass low for better acceleration.

Not sure about the 5x4x4 xyz axis lines. From testing in-game, it seems like a lot of them do benefit from that kind of arrangement, but others do not. You can test yourself by arranging them one way, checking the effectiveness with T (or by looking at the left side of the screen for things like thrusters) and then try a different arrangement and check again.

I believe the credit cap is about 2.1 billion credits. I don\'t think there is any way currently to change that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Servers also add proper and harder player ships as pirates, Isanth are not ment to be the pirate fleet, just a blueprint model, so that everyone else knows how and where to put ships/etc.

So harder pirates is easy, less loot easy, rebalancing the prices of all blocks possible for anyone, tweaking available.

So far this is a \"testing environment\", due to the game still being built, everyone gets everything easy because there are usually high changes of stuff being lost, dissapear, corrupted, or simply not compatible anymore... as well as bugs are found easier and faster when everyone can go crazy on builds and imagination.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My values made this game Incredibly hard and tedious so i wanted to possibly change things into better, and i had a rough idea of how to balance my prices and stuff. If I can change the items given at start i can better balance my server, does anyone know how to change the starting items.. i dont see it in the server cfg or modding thing.