To answer your question mr. streamer

should ladders be in?

• no

• yes

• I don't care

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    No, I don't want ladders - railings would be good, but not ladders. with the new rails it is easy to make compact elevators negating the need for ladders AND ladders would just not look right. ALSO ladders in games are a pain in the ass constantly getting stuck, bugging out,ect ect. There are better ways, what we need are some vertical mobility enhancers

"just between you and me "

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There are times when a space just really needs a ladder. For me personally, no need for a new block, just make scaffold climbable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would have no use for them. When I do vertical passages and don't use a lift it's because the ship or station is meant to be zero-G and ladders would be pointless then. If it was a popular idea, and the Devs wanted to put them in, I would have no objection at all.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    We need ladders to make small ships with more than one floor. It would make vertical builds and getting into ships in gravity so much easier. Nobody will get forced to use ladders in his builds. It´s entirely optional so I don´t see any problem with that.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am currently creating a model of a submarine in Starmade. Fortunately, I picked one of the bigger submarines in existence to model, so I have had enough room to put in ramps instead of ladders, but my second submarine will be more compact, with less room for ramps.

I recommend to start that the ladder can simply be a quarter-slab with the regular non-thrust, non-irregular thruster texture (the thruster vent texture? I use it for vents all the time) to represent the ladder.
    thrustertop64.png

A quarter-slab might allow enough room for an astronaut in the same block space. An astronaut might even fit in with a half-slab, but a quarter slab is all that is needed for a simple ladder structure.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've long wanted ladders in the game. I agree with the idea of making them 1/4 slab (or slab capable.) I don't necessarily think they have to be functional (they actually allow you to climb in gravity.) I just put bunk beds in a new ship, and I struggled to find a suitable block to act as a ladder to the upper bunk. I also like to add Jeffrey's Tubes between floors, and a ladder would make sense in these. Then, there are times when either a ship is too small, the crew decks too cramped, or I just don't want a lot of logic or docked entities, and using ladders between decks would be nice. Finally, how cool would it be to to have a ladder extend down to the ground when you lower your landing gear and land on a planet?

Also, ladders turned sideways would be great for railings.