Titles on Camera Transition

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I suggest adding the ability to give every camera placed a name.

When shifting through cameras, this name would flash onto the center of the screen in like 48-point bold font for about 3 seconds, then quickly fade out. If the player's view is through a core rather than a camera, the title should read something like "CORE - MbTURRET110875401."

This way as you flip through cameras on a ship you didn't build the creator can cue you about the camera's function. For example; NOSE CAM, BROADSIDE PORT, DOCKING, KEEL CAM, REARVIEW, CARGO BAY INTERIOR, STARBOARD USD, etc...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    On smaller ships with less space this might be useful, but on larger ships you can usually place a display block off to the left of the camera, and have the text overextend the screen so that it's visible in front of the camera. The text won't fade out like you're suggesting, but I've seen this feature be used to make neat HUDs and such.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    You can place displays in front of some cameras on certain entities and have part of your visability impaired, yes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You can place displays in front of some cameras on certain entities and have part of your visability impaired, yes.
    Which is why I was saying your idea would still be useful on smaller vessels that don't have the space to do this :D

Reactions: MacThule

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This way as you flip through cameras on a ship you didn't build the creator can cue you about the camera's function. For example; NOSE CAM, BROADSIDE PORT, DOCKING, KEEL CAM, REARVIEW, CARGO BAY INTERIOR, STARBOARD USD, etc...
    You forgot the interrogation and the BD-SM room.

I don't know how much it impairs your vision by using display-blocks, but this is not the optimal solution as long as the display-blocks themselves are rendered fully (not just their text like with grass-sprites)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You forgot the interrogation and the BD-SM room.

I don't know how much it impairs your vision by using display-blocks, but this is not the optimal solution as long as the display-blocks themselves are rendered fully (not just their text like with grass-sprites)
    I didn't mean to have the display block itself in view. You can have text that extends past the right edge of the display, and this feature is what I was reffering to

Reactions: MacThule

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I didn't mean to have the display block itself in view. You can have text that extends past the right edge of the display, and this feature is what I was reffering to
    You still have to have a display block somewhere around 3m infront and 5m left/right, depending on view angle.​

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You still have to have a display block somewhere around 3m infront and 5m left/right, depending on view angle.​
    Eh, it can be closer than that, but my main point was that the block itself doesn't have to be in view for overhanging text to be visible. As stated before a couple times though, this doesn't work on smaller ships, due to lack of space, and thus the aforementioned idea is a good one.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Although using display block is a common work around, I too would prefer the functionality in the camera.
    Perhaps just use the same functionality of the Display block, but visible when viewing through the camera.
    Perhaps have a screen on the back of the camera that has the actual text so you don't have to enter the module to see the result.

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Although using display block is a common work around, I too would prefer the functionality in the camera.
    Perhaps just use the same functionality of the Display block, but visible when viewing through the camera.
    Perhaps have a screen on the back of the camera that has the actual text so you don't have to enter the module to see the result.
    I'd guess they could easily give a prompt similar to a display block on the camera when pressing "R", and it displays in-camera what would be shown on the display block (if it were a display instead of camera).

Stike7g5

Mandalorian Shipwright
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I support this motion in its entirety, we need to be able to label our cameras so when we switch through we know where we are viewing from. I do not know how many times I had to experiment trying to figure out which side I am viewing, especially since I build a lot of my USD docks on both port and starboard flanks of the ships. It would also be nice to extend these labels to the Rail Docker as well so that way you can easily identify them while scrolling through the Hot-bar. Something as simple as wizerdwolf suggested: Pressing 'R' on the block opens up a small interface and then enter a label. And then when you switch to the camera it states either temporarily across the centre of the screen or along the the edges (Sort of similar to current security/body/dash cameras may display information now a days.) or when scrolling through the hot bar for the instances of the Rail Docker it says something similar to ["Name" Docker] in the hot bar.

Reaction score
    Absolutely support this. Being able to Name Cameras (like we do cores) and show/flash Cameras' and Cores' names onscreen.
    It's useful for ships of ANY size - big, small and especially the ones with lots of turrets and docked entities.
    Sure, put displays near cameras - but what about all the turrets and docked entity cores? This way when scrolling through docked things and cameras with up, down, left, right arrow keys - we won't get lost (my ships are smallish and I'm already starting to get lost :) ).
    Anyways - support this, as it seems like a small addition that would be very useful - CheerZ :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I appreciate the ingenious work arounds our community embraces, but I feel like we should keep our collective eye on getting out of Alpha.

Think about the user experience. Not for players who know the game, but for a new player, reviewer or critic. Work arounds are like fixing things IRL with duct tape - it TOTALLY works... but it usually looks like trash.

Camera transition titles would ease interface and look sharp, professional rather than jury rigged. Like a real game ready for broad release.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Something I just thought of that would be neat is if cameras, assuming they worked similar to display blocks in how the text is added, maintained the logic features of display blocks such that you could have a HUD that's actively being updated by a logic circuit.
    This could be used to indicate damaged areas on the ship, what turrets are detected as being online, how many fighters are docked in the hangar, etc.