Tips on Greebly Bits?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd recommend repetition on at least some greebles. That is, repeating copies of the greeble a number of times in a direction.
    Examples: parallel pipes, parallel fins, antenna arrays, other sequential extrusions
    Placing a sequence of repeated copies of one type of greeble among other greebles can really improve the effect and make the area look less haphazard.

Don't be afraid to scale your greebles up, so you can fit system blocks inside. Or even create greebles out of system blocks, knowing that external blocks are subject to quick destruction.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Build many ships, save every cool greebly bit you come up with as a template, paste & modify/scale later :)

Well thats one nice thing anyway, textures and hull-fitting structures aren't so easy.
    And they're often the real important details anyway.

To that end, when I start a ship build, first thing I do is go through my storage, pick 2-3 armor colors and light colors, all the random decor/ambience blocks I can fit, any textures/animations that would go well with the armor&lighting, and some orange or brown standard for exterior piping. Once I've got everything that I could even consider using on my hull I just build hull, details & texture all in one pass, anything that doesn't catch my eye I try a template, or to remember something I built on an old ship that I could modify to work here, or even just try random geometric shapes until one of them works, then detail that up a bit. Can be nice to have some light hitting or as a feature of those Greebles too.