Tips and tricks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Starmade tips and tricks.
    I will compile a list of tips and tricks for starmade here! Feel free to add to the list!
    I will add good tips/tricks to the OP.

Rotating blocks
    The easiest way to rotate blocks is using advanced build mode.
    Hold CTRL and move the cursor away from the options panel, scroll to rotate block.

Building: ThiagoTGM
    Planning ahead is always better than deleting and redoing a section several times.
    Take your time to measure what you need, and make guidelines to plan the position of each section.

Large things: ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey
    Don't take big ships to planets. = baaad lag.

Got money?: ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey
    Find a station or an ice planet to mine, Use Salvage beams or a build bock (some people consider this cheating!) to dismantle it and sell what you don't need.
    If the station is NOT in purple blocks then it's usually safe to mine without hassle.

Core panic!: Wazubaba
    Try to keep the ship core generally in the center of the ship, it seems to really mess up docking and physics otherwise.

Reaction score
    Pirates are bad, you should stay away from them.
    Took one of the easy ones, so I don\'t have to think. :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Pirates are\'t TOO bad. They can be a pain in the arse however lol.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Planning ahead is always better than deleting and redoing a section several times.
    Take your time to measure what you need, and make guidelines to plan the position of each section.

That\'s what I think, anyway.

Reaction score
    Find a station or an ice planet to mine, Use Salvage beams or a build bock (some people consider this cheating!) to dismantle it and sell what you don\'t need.

If the station is NOT in purple blocks then it\'s usually safe to mine without hassle.

Reaction score
    Try to keep the ship core generally in the center of the ship, it seems to really mess up docking and physics otherwise...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Be sure that your ship has enough thrusters. An 2:1 Thrust:Mass ratio would be the ideal, but an 1:1 ratio is enough. Less than that, and your ship will lose so much in acceleration and manuverability that it will be in a severe disadvantage when in a battle.

Reaction score
    When you place docking/turret expanders, they do not need to be touching the connected

dock/turret. You can put them anywhere they fit. This is especially helpful with how docking works atm, where the bounding box for the dockee doesn\'t rotate to fit the dock. You can still have useless expanders merely for decoration though ;)

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You are an excellent builder, and we are assembling a contest to see who is the best builder. We\'d love to see you attend.
    -Prime Admiral F. Debris, DFN

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you\'re not sure of your planned design that\'s floating in your head, or you\'re just forgetful, actually get a piece of paper (or if you\'re a technophile, a drawing program on a smart tablet of your choice might be preferable) and draw it. It helps when you build it to get a sense of what you were going for, and you can compare that to the inevitable on-the-fly changes you want to make whilst building it.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    if the screen view moving is causing disorientation during building, use ctrl to stop the screen motion and reducing your advanced build mode block size to whatever you need. Then use the mouse cursor in a more traditional way. handy for builders that get motion sickness or are easily disoriented ^_^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    #1: Keep your core under as much armor as you can. If it its destroyed, you\'re dead, so the more protected, the better.

#2: Avoid leaving important subsystems in the open. Once your shields are down, it is easier for your enemy to cripple any exposed systems.

#3: Following the line of the last building tip, comes a fightning one: if your enemy has any exposed systems (preferentially weapons or thrusters), target them first. It is faster than digging through armor, and still reduce your enemy\'s fighning abilities.

#4: Make sure your ship has Gravity Modules on it\'s entrances. It is much faster and easier to navigate a ship if you\'re inside of it\'s gravity pool.