Tiny Blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The last I checked of this game, all you could do was build hollow ships with only functionality and no decorations. If there was some kind of functionality like the chisels and bits mod for Minecraft in Starmade, it would increase the creative potential by a billion or so.

Reaction score
    I would love to have this in StarMade, but I imagine it would require a lot of changes to the game engine for that to happen.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd like to have smaller blocks too for logic and chairs

You can look at skywanderers

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Given the overall scale of Starmade, I do NOT want this. Sure, small blocks would be cool, but the cost in performance would be too high. The cost in performance on Minecraft is already enough to bring most gaming PCs to their knees without some serious optimization mods. (...which don't even work on all graphics cards! BLAAAGH! but why am I ranting about that here?)

It's a nice feature, but not a good fit for Starmade.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Given the overall scale of Starmade, I do NOT want this. Sure, small blocks would be cool, but the cost in performance would be too high. The cost in performance on Minecraft is already enough to bring most gaming PCs to their knees without some serious optimization mods. (...which don't even work on all graphics cards! BLAAAGH! but why am I ranting about that here?)

It's a nice feature, but not a good fit for Starmade.
    My counter for this is going to sound harsh, but I'm not saying it to be mean. If a mod for Minecraft can implement this feature with little to no performance impact, than Starmade not being able to do it is pretty sad. Believe me, I understand MC is horribly optimized, but I have hundreds of these blocks everywhere, and there's no performance impact as far as I can tell, aside from a small amount of block update lag when updating a chunk with lots of C&B creations in it. A chunk is only like, a 16x16 space I think, so it basically has no performance impact.

Here's some proof that I have these blocks everywhere in my MC world.

You can see just how much a little blocks mod adds. Imagine this kind of creative freedom in Starmade. I truly think it'll increase this game's potential well beyond what it is now.

Btw, thank you for taking the time to actually express why you disagree.

Reaction score
    I think many small blocks would cause a performance decrease in moving, Also if you had a server and there were many blocks that needed to be loaded, that would increase loading time. I’m just thinking aloud, I don’t know if it would actually cause a huge frame rate decrease.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We’re not talking hundreds of blocks in Starmade. We are talking ten thousands to millions.

Reactions: Nosajimiki

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I would not be able to control myself with tiny blocks, honestly. I'm talking little bevels along every hallway and greeble 'wires' on every large surface. My ship would take long enough to load I wouldn't need a cloaker anymore!

Reactions: Ithirahad

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    Each one of those tiny blocks would have the same number of faces as a bigger one. This would cause lag, especially when you reach the sheer scale of some of the ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As far as tiny blocks go, i would support having more "slab like" blocks, where the bounding box takes up the full area but the visual part of it is small, like coloured slightly raised wires.
    You wouldn't beable to stack them in the same blocks, but they would make ships feel less blocky.

We already have them in-game such as the glourious pipes (all hail the Pipe God!)