Recognized Timestamps for chat

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Chat Timestamps. A really simple convenience that could go a long way. I personally will often go afk, come back, and have no idea when that person said "what's up guys?".

Obviously not a priority! Just something that would make at least my starmade experience that much better.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If you press F1, a box with timestamps and server occurrences pop up. From what I can tell, it's also suppose to store chat messages, due to the filter for Chat_Public, and their time stamps, but I have no idea if it's working right (I dont think it is).

I'm against actually putting timestamps into the box, because I dont play with a large chat window, but fixing up the chat log would work fine, yes?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you press F1, a box with timestamps and server occurrences pop up. From what I can tell, it's also suppose to store chat messages, due to the filter for Chat_Public, and their time stamps, but I have no idea if it's working right (I dont think it is).

I'm against actually putting timestamps into the box, because I dont play with a large chat window, but fixing up the chat log would work fine, yes?
    Correct it looks like it should be there, and correct it is not working. If it was working I suppose that would cover everything I personally would want.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd like timestamps and the ability to copy paste from text within the chat so you could scroll up, highlight, and paste it back in for quoting.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not particularly pleased with the chat window as it is, having a chat window in the bottom left corner like other games would be better IMO instead of a big window in the middle of the screen that pops up and disappears when you're done typing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm not particularly pleased with the chat window as it is, having a chat window in the bottom left corner like other games would be better IMO instead of a big window in the middle of the screen that pops up and disappears when you're done typing.
    Agree. Transparent chat windows in the corner of the UI is a pretty standard design for multiplayer games. If it's in the way, make it a pop-out: have a hide button that collapses it to a 20 pixel unhide button in the same corner.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I would say that it is a necessity for chat. I will talk to people and see what they think.

Reactions: kiraen
    Reaction score
    I absolutely support chat timestamps.

I would say that it is a necessity for chat. I will talk to people and see what they think.
    If you do, could you please consider timestamps for server log messages as well? I'm somewhat tired of having to pipe my logs through filters to make them actually meaningful ; )

Also having timestamps on screenshots would be awesome.
    EDIT: found it I think I already commented a while ago that SM reads the filenames sequentially from disk every time a new screenshot is made, taking a tick longer with every additional screenshot, until it finally finds a free one and inserts it there, completely ignoring chronology if for example you deleted a few shots from the sequence.
    A simple {timestamp}-screenshot.png would solve this and allow for much better archiving possibilities at the same time.

TL;DR: Timestamps everywhere!

Last edited: