Timeline for a competative patch?

Reaction score
    https://trello.com/b/9Kg5Jn6g/starmade-roadmap

Starmade Roadmap, pretty much all of the features the OP suggested are planned. :p
    I see cargo and stack limiting... Which would be HUGE in the way of helping this along (though I wish there were even the smallest hint of a "timeline" to the projected features there. A month? Six? A year? How long must I wait!)

Aside from that I don't see much on there to help encourage a hostile pvp universe.

That said, I do think that ramping up faction point costs, removing shops aside from spawn (and protecting that sector as "safe zone"), drop all items on death, would be a VERY fun server.

Some have asked what to do about newbies and people getting stranded.. I suppose there are fixes and workarounds a good server admin could employ, but in my opinion.. such a server would be no place for newbies :P Go learn somewhere else, and come here when you are ready for the hardcore competitive experience. The hardest challenge would be encouraging the first few waves of factions to join the server and form up, but after that I think they'd absorb any new players that came in, and the server would flow along

Now, did anyone pose any objections to removing planets entirely to prohibit mining lag? :P

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I see cargo and stack limiting... Which would be HUGE in the way of helping this along (though I wish there were even the smallest hint of a "timeline" to the projected features there. A month? Six? A year? How long must I wait!)

Aside from that I don't see much on there to help encourage a hostile pvp universe.

That said, I do think that ramping up faction point costs, removing shops aside from spawn (and protecting that sector as "safe zone"), drop all items on death, would be a VERY fun server.

Some have asked what to do about newbies and people getting stranded.. I suppose there are fixes and workarounds a good server admin could employ, but in my opinion.. such a server would be no place for newbies :p Go learn somewhere else, and come here when you are ready for the hardcore competitive experience. The hardest challenge would be encouraging the first few waves of factions to join the server and form up, but after that I think they'd absorb any new players that came in, and the server would flow along

Now, did anyone pose any objections to removing planets entirely to prohibit mining lag? :p
    Something that I looked into was changing warp to make PvP much more enjoyable, as well as a bunch of procedurally generated NPC factions that automatically do stuff, in conjunction would encourage being a pirate. Uneven resource distribution is something that's been planned for a long time, and is already partially in, making war a significantly more viable thing, and with the NPC factions, will provide you with some enemies to war against.

We've all been desiring more reason/ways to PvP, and Schine recognizes them. They're developing the game at a nice rate, and don't have a deadline. They have no idea how long it could take, and they don't want to restrict themselves into a small timezone. They're adding more things into the game to allow for these new mechanics/features to implemented with ease in the future, and that can any amount of time between a couple of weeks to a decade. So for now, just lay patient, continue to wait for the update, it'll be out, when is unknown, but know that it's coming soon. :D

On a side note, removing planets entirely is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No offence. The best thing to do is to optimize them even more, switching them to this idea wouldn't reduce the lag (that'd be reliant upon the smart chunk/block loading) but would provide us with a nicer planet. If we're going to fix planets, then we need to replace them with something that's more pleasing. Not only that, but there're a bunch of fauna updates to come out for planets. :P

Reaction score
    Something that I looked into was changing warp to make PvP much more enjoyable, as well as a bunch of procedurally generated NPC factions that automatically do stuff, in conjunction would encourage being a pirate. Uneven resource distribution is something that's been planned for a long time, and is already partially in, making war a significantly more viable thing, and with the NPC factions, will provide you with some enemies to war against.

We've all been desiring more reason/ways to PvP, and Schine recognizes them. They're developing the game at a nice rate, and don't have a deadline. They have no idea how long it could take, and they don't want to restrict themselves into a small timezone. They're adding more things into the game to allow for these new mechanics/features to implemented with ease in the future, and that can any amount of time between a couple of weeks to a decade. So for now, just lay patient, continue to wait for the update, it'll be out, when is unknown, but know that it's coming soon. :D

On a side note, removing planets entirely is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No offence. The best thing to do is to optimize them even more, switching them to this idea wouldn't reduce the lag (that'd be reliant upon the smart chunk/block loading) but would provide us with a nicer planet. If we're going to fix planets, then we need to replace them with something that's more pleasing. Not only that, but there're a bunch of fauna updates to come out for planets. :p
    I think you interpreted my propositions as a long term solution,
    This question has evolved into "what can be done today with the tools we have". So, without the ability to optimize them from a player end, if I were to start a server today with planets turned off.. how much would it really effect (today)?

[[Also, when you say something is the dumbest thing you've ever heard, that's offensive. Rather than write "no offense" just change the words you just wrote, to something else. Unless, you know, I had said that America was the world's largest super power in 300BC, that might be the dumbest thing you'd ever heard (no offense). ]]

Anyway thanks for representing Schine and defending their timeline.. That's awesome, however unnecessary.

So back to the subject at hand, what can WE do?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442328473,1442328273][/DOUBLEPOST]I should note for myself, that I am not interested in warring against NPCs, this discussion should be focused on how to encourage combat between players. While your idea of NPC factions is interesting, and i am sure would add to the game in other ways... I want to see factions of players using this great engine to fight one another. Uniting against the NPC threat is PvE, and while there's a lot of room for that to grow here as well, those ideas might fit better in a different thread.

Reactions: Blaza612