Time to Revisit the Ban on Factories on Ships?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, lets just start by my saying that I understand the reason why we currently don't allow factories and refineries on ships. They want you to make a base or a station, they don't want you flying around in one ship with all your stuff on it.

But now that we've had the mass pass and blocks have different masses now, perhaps its time to reconsider that limitation.

What if we were to allow factories, refineries, and enhancers on ships, but give them a very large mass to make it simply impractical to make large scale floating factories? Say a factory/refinery/enhancer block had a mass of 10 or 100 each?

Bases/Stations would still be the preferred method since you quickly end up with hundreds or thousands of enhancers per factory fairly quickly which would be far too many for any ship to carry, but still allow the creation of dedicated mining ships with on-board refining capability. Or allow large ships to still carry one of each factory in order to machine specific replacement blocks, while preventing them from mass producing things on the go.

Reactions: alterintel

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I always wanted to have a mobile base. Sure, not a giant titan from doom, but think more about the Crawlers from Command and Conquer 4.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ideally I would like to have factories on my ship without a penalty. But I think this is a great compromise :) I like it!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Heavy mass and long (255 second?) processing cycles should make it balanced.

Plus if the cargo update comes and new cargo mass is included in the overall ship's mass count, that could also be a good limiting factor for ship-board factory systems. (Technically, refining will reduce the mass of the finish object versus the raw materials it is made from, but I am assuming that the factory ship would either regularly mine more raw materials or receive raw material shipments from other ships.)

Factory ships will generally be these huge, hulking things. Their slow agility will make them vulnerable to organized pirate activity. Boarding would be exciting. Now you don't have to reach the core. You can just board deep enough to plunder a few dozen plex storage boxes for that sweet, sweet raw material. You wouldn't dare make a small, nimble factory ship, because it would be too vulnerable.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So you want people who go around in imposible to kill deathcubes to also not require a homebase and also not require ANY stations what so ever? balanced or not there is still tabbing out and enhancer spam.....

Please guys they are banned for a reason and its a good one... Allowing factories on ships voids the point of stations for one man factions and anyone who is only concerned with death and destruction

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So you want people who go around in imposible to kill deathcubes to also not require a homebase and also not require ANY stations what so ever? balanced or not there is still tabbing out and enhancer spam.....
    Won't make any difference for that people.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Won't make any difference for that people.
    No target cords they can float out in space while still not having to defend their station or having a massive target on their head

The ship is not even a jack of all trades at that point it does EVERYTHING in the game and while its all good and well for PVE if you are rolling around in a ship whom can fill a blueprint in seconds and run away when attacked and can take on 20 players and 50 ships and murder them all......

Its not a good idea for pvp... not to mention the bugs and issues with it

Considering also that shipyards update is intended to bring more point to stations i'd say the devs are not looking to reduce station's value in the game by giving ships the ability to do everything...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Homebases are invincible anyway, so who cares ?
    Not for long... Plans for the game will continue to evolve and i assure you homebase problems are being poofed at some point...

Besides that like i just said it confines that person to one point in the galaxy were everyone knows that person is going to be when not raiding thus blockading and assassination are possible.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Not for long... Plans for the game will continue to evolve and i assure you homebase problems are being poofed at some point...
    That brings up the question - Should homebases be invincible or not ?

Sure, more flavor for PVP is always welcome, but should people have the ability the erase a faction while they are all asleep ?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Y
    That brings up the question - Should homebases be invincible or not ?

Sure, more flavor for PVP is always welcome, but should people have the ability the erase a faction while they are all asleep ?
    You won't be able to do it while they are all asleep.

The new homebase system may include the requirement for all surrounding resource extraction sites to be destroyed before the homebase can be hurt

Please note stations are stations and can be of unlimited size.... thus taking out all stations in a faction may be extremely hard or very easy depending on your teir type...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    How about limiting it to 1 refinery and 1 basic factory?

That would not only eliminate the issue of wandering baseless cubes'o'doom but give newbs a leg up since they won't have to build a base just to refine and make some simple improvements to their ship.

Reactions: jayman38

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I believe factories on ships is planned as a capital ship system, whenever THOSE become a thing.

Oh no, please don't make it possible to remove HB protection. RIP small factions if that gets added, seriously. They won't stand a chance if some bigger one decides to steamroll them.

Please note stations are stations and can be of unlimited size.... thus taking out all stations in a faction may be extremely hard or very easy depending on your teir type...
    Please note ships are ships and can be of unlimited size... thus taking out all stations in a faction may be easy or extremely easy depending on their tier type

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I will just put it this way, if home base invincibility is removed, I will drop this game like a hot potato.

The ability for griefers to destroy everything you've built while you aren't even on to defend yourself is unacceptable.

The fact your home base is safe is the *ONLY* thing that makes the game viable as it stands now.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm the HB protection should only be removable if you are online to defend it. So if no one is online in the faction it shouldn't be removable and they'd have to be over a certain rank for this to happen as well. This way griefers can go burn somewhere due to wasting their time on the various things needed for killing a home base. :)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    hmm the HB protection should only be removable if you are online to defend it. So if no one is online in the faction it shouldn't be removable and they'd have to be over a certain rank for this to happen as well. This way griefers can go burn somewhere due to wasting their time on the various things needed for killing a home base. :)
    That only encourages people to not log in and play if they're in a position to lose HB protection.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Expect a lot of flaming by me if HB protection is removed. See ya.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ahh yes Forgot to add that its likely they will make it so that factioned stations/HB stuff gets pulled out of the game (I.E unkillable) during times of low member count (Depending on how many players) So 20 player factions require 5 players to be on in order to be attackable.

All of this info is taken from my long term memory when schema livestreamed the game concept and new posts from the old site/hints from dev posts on the forum

They talked about faction homebases and what they were going to do with them..... this is a likely what they will do.

As for lecic i'd love to remind him that GenXnova has 500K block ships and 5 million block station limits which allow for more dynamic gameplay since stations are very very hard to kill with a 500K block ship....

Furthermore we as a community should be determining game balance for set servers and indeed if we want HB protection on or off (I.E hardcore servers)