Thrusters

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Okay, so Calbiri said that we would have to set what proportion of thrust and speed we get in each direction.

Different types of thrusters - someone mentioned having thrusters that give a low top speed but high thrust. Can we also have a low-thrust high-speed thrusters?

• Coil thrusters - what we have now. Moderate speed and thrust.
    • Ion thrusters - High speed low thrust
    • Osmium thrusters - Low speed high thrust

Also, can we set thrust and speed seperately? So I can a fighter manuverable in all directions but have a top speed forward.

Now, Calbiri also responded to a comment from Apex Aurijan about different types of power, and he said that they would have to be some sort of balenced thing with its own role, not just something that gives more power just like normal generators. Like danger of explosion, uses fuel, station-only, something like that. And I came up with an idea. And yeah, this isn't something that should implemented soon, its more something for late beta or released game.

What about a nuclear power plant? This can only be used to power nuclear thrusters, which take time to spool up. So while a capital ship can use nuclear thrusters to get a decent thrust-weight and speed-weight, it will take a while to get up to max thrust. Any standard coil/ion/osmium thrusters will react instantly, but they will react slower. Nuclear engines also take time to spool down as well, so capitals would have to be careful manuvering around stations or planets.

EDIT: Thanks to Legolas for reminding me about who said what.

Reaction score
    The thrust to speed thing is based on thrust to mass as well as max server speed, meaning that if the max speed is sixty, and you set your thrusters to 10 in each direction, you will be able to go 10 in any direction, as well as 1/6 of your thrust to mass for acceleration.

Secondly,he said that the current power is going to be the most efficient with other, cheaper power systems being added. The thing with explosions and a nuclear reactor came from a youtuber referred to as Apex Ajurien.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Coil thrusters +110 max speed per 1:1 coil-thrust:mass and 10 thrust with current default dampening and strength.
    • Ion thrusters +192 max speed per 1:1 ion-thrust:mass and 2.5 thrust
    • Osmium thrusters +28 max speed per 1:1 osmium-thrust:mass and 17.5 thrust

That is your 25% / 175% of normal.

But what is more realistic is 100%/175 instead of 25% which is 57%, thus

• Ion thrusters +192 max speed per 1:1 ion-thrust:mass and 5.7 thrust
    • Osmium thrusters +63 max speed per 1:1 osmium-thrust:mass and 17.5 thrust

With default dampening you would never reach your max speed with ion thrusters, except the server speed is

Reaction score
    I love how these days if you post a thread involving mechanics, neon will always be there to explain why exactly it won\'t work as well as doing all of the math for you. Neon deserves a +1

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I care about free-to-play. If there is no open source as well :)

Want to know why? http://star-made.org/comment/96566#comment-96566

I have a lot of ideas, but my current project takes so much time I cant write a game before I finished it :) And I think of how to write my code or improve on of my ideas while playing or writing in a forum, or if I am tired of Java\'s restrictions requiring 1000 lines workarounds, variable definitions, etc over the actual problem.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You could use multiple types of thrusters, so ion thrusters would normally be mixed with coil thrusters. Also, with ships having a top speed, damping could be turned off for ships under thrust. The reason I had the percentages be 175% and 25% was so that 1 ion + 1 osmium = 2 coil thrusters, to prevent exploits using both types of thrusters.

Also, what do you mean, +110 max speed. I was under the impression that the numbers would contiune to generate in the same way, except now the groups of thrusters also generate a stat called Speed Ability or something, and the ratio of Speed Ability: mass determines what your top speed is. So if you have a Speed Ability: mass ratio of 2:1, with default splitting you would get 33% of top server speed, while with 3:1 SA:mass default splitting would give a 50% top server speed.

Reaction score
    Neon deserves a +1

I\'ll back that up :)

Always doin\' the maths, which is great :D

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also, what do you mean, +110 max speed.

110 speed * 0.09 dampening is about 1 thrust per block. The break-even point.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Except thrust per engine block isn\'t a constant. Only the first thruster in a group has a 1:1 thrust to weight.