Thrust doesnt make sense...

Reaction score
    So I've been working on a ship, and I've encountered something mildly frustrating. My ship doesn't go as fast as I think it should...

Here's the ship:
    http://i.imgur.com/DZdzWe6.png

Red areas indicate what portions of the ship are pure thruster groups. The rest is basically hollow save for power and storage blocks. And despite having almost a 2:1 trhust to mass ratio, I can only top out at 40km/h when the cap is set to 128

Honestly I expected more. With about 25,000 thrusters, or about 25% of the ship's mass, why is it going so damn slow? It seems like every ship i make, is a damn snail. I pset the top speed higher so i could cut travel time, but my ships seem to cap out at such low speeds. Ive made ships this size before with better speeds, but those were in past versions of the game, so what changed? And can I change anything to improve this?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    when ships get bigger they tend to be slower (the amount of thrust required per mass in my experience doesn't scale in a linear fashion) which is why small ships are very fast.

Reaction score
    when ships get bigger they tend to be slower (the amount of thrust required per mass in my experience doesn't scale in a linear fashion) which is why small ships are very fast.
    But I have a ship like a 10th the size and its also slow and caps out at like 50...

Reaction score
    Did you change your servers drag settings? A high drag setting can cause this.

Also, your ships thrusters' power usage looks to be about 2.5x its regeneration rate, so while you can accelerate at max thrust for a time, you probably run out in about 30 seconds.

Thrust power consumption is calculated per tick, that's about 30 milliseconds, so your usage per second is about 33x what is displayed.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    go into the starmade folder (probably in downloads folder) => server.cfg => edit with notepad => change max thrust to whatever you want

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Like Calbiri said, it is likely your power that is inadequate. If you have close to none of power storage, you even may not notice how your power is constantly depleted and recovered. Thrusters wont work at their full capacity if sufficient power is not provided. You should make a power structure of your ship first, and thrusters are what goes last.

I don't see any possible alternatives. On any server I play, a thrust/mass ratio of ~2x is enough to achieve local speed limit at very least.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Like Calbiri said, it is likely your power that is inadequate. If you have close to none of power storage, you even may not notice how your power is constantly depleted and recovered. Thrusters wont work at their full capacity if sufficient power is not provided. You should make a power structure of your ship first, and thrusters are what goes last.

I don't see any possible alternatives. On any server I play, a thrust/mass ratio of ~2x is enough to achieve local speed limit at very least.
    Yup. My current WIP has an even smaller TWR and manages to go way, WAY above 128km/h at default space friction settings.

Reaction score
    Did you change your servers drag settings? A high drag setting can cause this.
    That was is. I didn't realize those settings were like a force ships would need to overcome, in part due to the comment saying that it effects how fast something naturally slows down. I kinda assumed that accelerating wasn't "slowing down", but it all makes sense now.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    That was is. I didn't realize those settings were like a force ships would need to overcome, in part due to the comment saying that it effects how fast something naturally slows down. I kinda assumed that accelerating wasn't "slowing down", but it all makes sense now.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Think of it this way. There is no such thing as deceleration. You are accelerating in a backwrads direction while slowing down to a halt. The same applies to any direction. Accelerating in one direction is slowing down in the opposite. Maybe not applicable in starmade, but its scientific fact!