Throttle

Reaction score
    The current way of flying, constantly holing your accelerator, is stupid. A throttle would make one time set of speed for long journeys creating a better way of travel for long distances. While on this not manuvering blocks would also be nice.

Reaction score
    Yes please. Before someone starts doomsaying \"BUT THE SHIP WILL NEVER STOP! OMG!!1!\", just simply make it so the throttle sets back to 0 if there is no driver - so instead of ships slowly drifting away, the brake is actually activated. Along these lines, perhaps the annoying \"magical space drag\" can be removed, as well. Last time I checked, there is no drag in space, except for the occasional solar wind.

Reaction score
    You can turn down the automatic deceleration in the server config. Setting it to very low makes it much more spacey, just watch out what you run into and don\'t accidently eject yourself from your ship :)

Reaction score
    I don\'t understand why people keep saying this... two completely different movement mechanics you know.

What happens if you turn your ship in throttle mode? your ship keeps moving along your view.

What happens if you do the same with 0 friction? The ship will continue to move into the direction it was moving in before you turned + stopped pressing the forward key...

I\'d like to see throttle together with the friction, because the friction prevents problems like your ship floating 20 sectors away because you accidentally (or intentionally because of a bug) jumped out.

Reaction score
    Oh I get that, I just meant as a fix for now and its more realistic (and fun imho, allows for much better strafing)

Reaction score
    It\'s true, the strafing is a plus.

I just wish there was something to prevent ships from moving infinitely without friction... A simple mechanic such as making un-manned ships not be able to leave a sector while moving, would fix a lot of problems.

Reaction score
    Psst. How about you read what I said? Just have the throttle automatically go to \"0\" if the player leaves the ship/dies, so the ship breaks itself. But while the player is in a ship, there is no friction, so you can drift and realistically manuvure in space.

Reaction score
    Bringing throttle to alone 0 wouldn\'t help without friction. You\'d have to make the ship get affected by friction in that case (if it is empty) as well.

If you played mc and played around with minecarts, you might know what I mean: carts with players would keep moving without slowing down on straight pieces, while empty carts would slow down due to friction and stop moving then.

It would work very well.

Reaction score
    Why would friction magically start happening? In MineCraft, you are refering to inertia. Go push a shopping cart at running speed full, then do one with it empty, and the full one will roll further. However, in a 100 mass ship, the measly weight of a player leaving a ship isn\'t going to suddenly cause magical space friction.

Having the throttle set to \"0\" would mean the ship tries to auto-pilot to 0, so it acts as a brake. Just like having it at 75% would run your ship at 75% speed. That way, you just slide the throttle to your setting, and the ship cruises at that speed (like in Mech Warrior, or any number of space/airflight simulation games).

Reaction score
    Well throttle to 0 sounds like you are just no longer accelerating instead of applying breaking (negative / reverse throttle) so I can see where the confusion is coming in. Both of you are trying to state the same thing, when the ship is empty it should come to a stop (semi) quickly instead of just coasting on forever