Suggestion Thread Rating? Endorsement or Opposition.

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Total voters

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    So yeah, been away for a couple days (13 hour work shifts and a corroded phone jack tend to keep people offline) and I came back to see the disagree removed? (I have read 2 threads about it, so I know why)

Personally, I don't think that really matters, I personally don't look at post rating till after I have read it and skim over what other people are saying, except for the first post (The OP) which generally tell me how the thread is going (High disagrees and 4+ pages? Yeah I aint touching that). And I know why they were removed, and I can respect the decision to a degree, but ratings are more important for the OP and should give you a clue as to how a conversation is going (since ratings with 5+ tend to be displayed next to the thread name on the forum board).

Anyways, my suggestion is to add a "Thread rating" system, over top of the "Post rating" we have now. All I can really think of is 2 options (Yay or Nay) which players vote to tell others if the thread is worth reading/paying attention to. These ratings would not be bound to a certain post, but rather the entire thread (Maybe the OP was dumb, but later posts turned into an interesting discussion worth reading).

The downside I see to it is with factions (Would be much abuse I feel), although it could be used as a PR rating for factions (A faction with 5 Yays and 20 Nays? Might not be the most pleasant of places). I personally hope it could just be disabled for non-relevant boards (like bugs) or where it could be abused (Factions).

I dunno, it's an idea that found its way into my head while I was reading the Disagreement on the Disagree function. Feel free to smash at it and maybe something good might come of it, or otherwise be thrown out.

Reaction score
    I like it. Much better than Skylord and his silly gif of His Holiness the Dali Lama lasering the shit outta my avatar.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think there should be a disagree and an invalid point rating.
    The disagree however should only be visible to the poster of this post and yourself.

With less votes peoples post more, thus keep the thread bumped.
    That makes me think : all bad threads are taking over the first page much faster than good ones do.

Reaction score
    I think there should be a disagree and an invalid point rating.
    The disagree however should only be visible to the poster of this post and yourself.

With less votes peoples post more, thus keep the thread bumped.
    That makes me think : all bad threads are taking over the first page much faster than good ones do.
    I barely take any notice of ratings anyway, internet popularity means nothing unless you're making money off of it, which I am not.

I took a look at the 'members' chart by chance and learned that I am the 7th most like user on the whole site. So what? What does it matter?

I post because the community is fun.

Reactions: CyberTao

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I took a look at the 'members' chart by chance and learned that I am the 7th most like user on the whole site. So what? What does it matter?
    Maybe that you have high-quality posts?

It is more important for those who need to see if they are writing annoying 7 suggestions per day or get 7 dislikes per post
    A use should see from who he got how many dislikes in the past 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 days... (that is easier to do than weeks, months, ...) and maybe:
    1. # the number of dislikes which is (most dislikes from one person) but not showing this user's name.
    2. # second greatest number
    3. # ...
    4. How many users gave 2 dislikes
    5. How many users gave 1
    Also users should be prevented from giving more than 3 dislikes a hour to the same user to prevent abuse.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    How about, and this is me going out on a limb, we remove the "total ratings" thing from public view? Other players could still see what ratings he gives most often (how many agrees/funnies he gave out), but not what he received, But the ratings would still be shown to all on the posts.

Because the total collected ratings thing is really, really pointless. If you get rid of the ability for other players to see what ratings you were given, all they would see, is that the abuser had given out an absurd amount of disagrees, which makes people think critically of the would be abuser, instead of the one being spammed at.

But yeah, seeing the total ratings is pointless. Each post in a different thread will be of a different value to different people. A bad factional politician might actually be a good brainstormer/suggestion maker after all.

All that really matters (to me at least) is whether the thread is worth reading (not full of flame/trolling) and whether a person's individual post is well received or not (to a degree, I mean there were a few people I just shook my head at, but then a bunch of people agreed and I rethought, and I was wrong).

I dunno, more rambles. Hope it was worth a read xD

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    All that really matters (to me at least) is whether the thread is worth reading (not full of flame/trolling) and whether a person's individual post is well received or not (to a degree, I mean there were a few people I just shook my head at, but then a bunch of people agreed and I rethought, and I was wrong).
    The "Troll rating"s should be given to peoples which don't contribute to the thread... but what does it do?

This is - for me - the main issue right now.
    Good stuff or stuff which you spend 2+ hours on just gets burried on page2+
    -- one thread I really wanted to actually COLLECT ideas so that we can as a community realize it ... burried with 6 feedbacks and 1 reply

Maybe you should only be able to read the next post if you gave a feedback to one of the last 3 ? ;)
    Only be able to open a new thread of you haven't 2+ on page1.
    Only view the latest thread when you gave feedback to some previous...
    Peoples are too lazy right now.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Most peoples are too lazy to even vote on a thread I spent 2 hours writing or collecting thoughts for. Few will reply if they can click a vote, making the thread with 6 likes/agrees but no disagrees (back then when we had them) appear on page 2 after just a day after the last update on it.
    That's more a limitation of using a forums for suggestions I find. The idea of a "active thread" is to debate/discuss the topic. If everyone that reads the thread agrees with it, or is otherwise indifferent (Some people wouldn't really care either way, lack of comprehensions, or a few might be waiting for people to comment before them*), then it's gonna get buried fast, even though those are the ones that arguably deserve more attention.

In your case, many of your suggestions (that I remember anyways, I did take a break for a while), were heavily RP influenced in some way, which may have thrown the non-hardcore-RPers off. Sometimes they are simple when you understand, but just seem like a wall of numbers and variables to those who don't. They were fairly decent ideas, don't get me wrong, but how they were presented may have made some people disinterested. I dunno, I can only speak for me, but those are my thoughts.

*What I mean here, is some people may not want to just agree or rate it because they are unsure, and would like to see what other people are saying about it first (via posts).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    They were fairly decent ideas, don't get me wrong, but how they were presented may have made some people disinterested. I dunno, I can only speak for me, but those are my thoughts.
    That's why I spend so many time on them ... and still ... some feedback could help me to improve it.

Documentation is not my strong side, figuring out math, optimal solutions and things others may not think about is my trait.
    I often lose the interst in topics which have more than 4 lines per paragraph and read only the first and last 3 pages.
    I also lose interest on topics which are repeated/old with few replys.

Had an idea about a special "General Questions" thread here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/gen...t-again-or-approval-to-repost-elsewhere.3391/

Last edited: