Tholien web like weapon?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    is is possable to make a weapon like a Tholien web?

a Tholien web is created by little shuttles where they leave a line behind them where if any ship touches it the ship has damage bigger the web becomes stronger it gets

this could be a very fun weapon to use!

____________________________________________________________________________

also possable mines idea....

have rockes speed go 0 some how so they just float in place untill they time out or something hits them

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    It's probably possible to create such a weapon, the devs or a modder could do so I think.

However, you can do a similar thing right now by using stop effect computers and a bunch of drones. You don't get the visual effect of a web, but you can stop a ship.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Such a weapon would be used for tron mods, for sure.

Does it damage vessels that try to pass, or does it just hold them? If it just holds them, you could use the yellow (or any color really) force field block. Otherwise, firing damage beams in various directions, and hope they don't strike a friendly craft. Does it recognize friendly craft and link to them instead of trying to damage or hold them? (This would really differentiate this kind of weapon from all the others.)

If it were to become a real weapon block, I'd recommend you expound upon how this weapon system would slave to other weapon system, and how it would change as other weapon systems were slaved to it. (E.g. slaving a cannon to it, makes the web pulse rapidly, slaving to beams increase strength/damage further and allows longer threads, slaving to missiles allow more threads per output, creating thread fans/walls, slaving to pulse makes the threads thick and damages all blocks passing through as if they were passing through the sun.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Such a weapon would be used for tron mods, for sure.

Does it damage vessels that try to pass, or does it just hold them? If it just holds them, you could use the yellow (or any color really) force field block. Otherwise, firing damage beams in various directions, and hope they don't strike a friendly craft. Does it recognize friendly craft and link to them instead of trying to damage or hold them? (This would really differentiate this kind of weapon from all the others.)

If it were to become a real weapon block, I'd recommend you expound upon how this weapon system would slave to other weapon system, and how it would change as other weapon systems were slaved to it. (E.g. slaving a cannon to it, makes the web pulse rapidly, slaving to beams increase strength/damage further and allows longer threads, slaving to missiles allow more threads per output, creating thread fans/walls, slaving to pulse makes the threads thick and damages all blocks passing through as if they were passing through the sun.)

ok so the web blocks ship momvment and causes little damage howaver when the web is compleat or surrounding a ship it can colaps onto the ship crushing it

connected to salavge computer it can do the same as vs a ship BUT with asteroids! put a web all over an astroid crush it and get all the minerals!

connedcted to Missile computer once it starts making a web as hostile ships get close to it the web starts charging into the hostile ship

connected to a Beam computer makes the web stronger! AKA the web can be spread out more and it can be bigger!

connected to the cannon computer make the web spread out more when used like a Star effect (try getting through a minefield like that xD)

i think thats all the computers..

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, main problem with a tholian web in Starmade is the Jump Drive. Unless you have a crazy powerful Jump Inhibitor, you're not going to be able to trap a ship anywhere.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, main problem with a tholian web in Starmade is the Jump Drive. Unless you have a crazy powerful Jump Inhibitor, you're not going to be able to trap a ship anywhere.
    well that can be said about any weapon then really

i can think of a ship desine that can trap ships

supply drain so you can't charge the jump drive (have it as a turret so you are always hitting it as the main ship makes the web)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    well that can be said about any weapon then really
    Yeah, but most weapons don't require the target to sit perfectly still for extended periods of time while the trap is set up either.

By the time you could Stop a ship, power drain it enough so that it couldn't charge a jump, run an inhibitor enough to take out any jump they already had, and then start closing a tholian web in, you could have just bombed them to death.

I mean, their power is down, so they have no shields, just start pummeling them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, but most weapons don't require the target to sit perfectly still for extended periods of time while the trap is set up either.

By the time you could Stop a ship, power drain it enough so that it couldn't charge a jump, run an inhibitor enough to take out any jump they already had, and then start closing a tholian web in, you could have just bombed them to death.

I mean, their power is down, so they have no shields, just start pummeling them.

true..but there are alos other uses for the web like layering systems around your base with the webs since the webs would have a very long time out time they would make perfect space mines

Reaction score
    Maybe someone will add it when we get MOD API, but i would not count on it being implemented as a regular weapon.
    My guess is that it would take a lot of time developing such a system for the game for a very little benefit for the game itself and a very limited use.

The other question is how long should these web lines exist and do they count as blocks?
    We still got the server/game performance to consider.

Even in Star Trek i found this weapons somewhere questionable.
    Sure it was to establish more of a spider-like vibe to the Tholians, but it has/had "bad James Bond antagonist slow working and escapeable death trap" written all over it.

Like already mentioned i do not see any benefit for using such a weapon. (over simply beating the **** out of the enemy with regular weapons)

And for "mining"well creative idea, but it should stay balanced to normal salvaging beams.

(A bit off topic so therefore in spoiler tag)
    But the idea of different mining "methods" gives me an idea, so why not a "mining torpedo".
    You fire a small nuke into an asteroid, it goes BOOOM and the minerals fly off in all directions. Now you just have to hunt them down....
    Inefficient but somehow funny to imagine

Reactions: Ithirahad