Recognized This would help with immersion trust me it would.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So I hate when I have to be like "you know that feature in mining simulator 2k15"

So you know that feature In Left for dead where you can see what gun your holding? Well that but with the starmade blocks/weapons when in astro mode. This would help with immersion because it helps you feel like your a character instead of a floating camera that can place blocks.

I noticed this when I was playing minecraft right after I played starmade, for some reason minecraft seemed more natural, same block mechanics similar gui, the only thing i could think of is that minecraft has a display of the current block you are hold as if the player character was holding it. So yeah do a thing

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So I hate when I have to be like "you know that feature in mining simulator 2k15"

So you know that feature In Left for dead where you can see what gun your holding? Well that but with the starmade blocks/weapons when in astro mode. This would help with immersion because it helps you feel like your a character instead of a floating camera that can place blocks.

I noticed this when I was playing minecraft right after I played starmade, for some reason minecraft seemed more natural, same block mechanics similar gui, the only thing i could think of is that minecraft has a display of the current block you are hold as if the player character was holding it. So yeah do a thing
    True, right now being astronaut is like not being anything at all.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And sitting in ships is like not having any cockpit at all ^^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I don't think you actually hold blocks. I think you "beam" blocks in from your transport/storage buffer with the little electronic gizmo on your arm. However it would be cool to see your arm when holding a gun or placing blocks.

Reactions: Edymnion

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't think you actually hold blocks. I think you "beam" blocks in from your transport/storage buffer with the little electronic gizmo on your arm. However it would be cool to see your arm when holding a gun or placing blocks.
    OK, have a translucent image of the block, to simulate a holograph of the block.

Reactions: Urza der Gehasste

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Quite right. You have an "assembler" tool that doesn't appear in the inventory. I'd like to see it in my avatar's hand with a small screen displaying the selected block and its name.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Fair point, I like it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    And sitting in ships is like not having any cockpit at all ^^
    ...Which will be fixed by next June or so; the devs already have a plan for this. What Scriptkitty mentions is a very valid problem that nobody's mentioned... It would also alleviate the awkward issue of people standing around pointing guns at each other because they forgot that they had a gun in their selected hotbar slot.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Would it be possible to see your arm in the bottom right corner of the screen extended with the defabricator-thing having a tiny holograph above it of the block?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm a little hesitant about a hologram. Right now any block preview that fills a significant portion of my screen causes a major fps drop.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm a little hesitant about a hologram. Right now any block preview that fills a significant portion of my screen causes a major fps drop.
    Sounds... like a bug? or otherwise something else that can be optimized out.

Reaction score
    i really like the idea of a hologram. If you held out your assembler and a 2d hologram showed the current block, that would be pretty cool. the only problem is that all the items don't have models so that would need to be done too.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    i really like the idea of a hologram. If you held out your assembler and a 2d hologram showed the current block, that would be pretty cool. the only problem is that all the items don't have models so that would need to be done too.
    Yea, it would definitely be cool with a transparent blue-tinted model rotating above or something like that. It could just be the normal block rendered above it (if that's feasible) with a semi-transparent texture, somewhat like the display block background, overlayed.

Reaction score
    At the very least I want to see my arm with the mining laser while in astronaut mode.