TheSmelter Premium Hosting | Stellar Performance | DDR4/SSD | Ram Based | StarMade Dock Discount

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    We use the smelter, the reasons being that we have a simple control panel that any of our admins can use, auto restarts, messages etc
    When new updates are released I'm able to update the server within 24 hours, often much less even through my tablet if I'm away from home.

As for ram that depends on what you will allow your players to build.

1km ships everywhere and you will most likely need extra ram, I would start with 3-4 gig ram and see how you go. If you need more or less you can change yourself easily and immediately.

So can't really answer your question specifically as it totally depends on ship size build limits, players logged in and how many entities in a sector...

Trial and error is the best option with Starmade servers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Hello Shadar.

That is a very good question but just like Phocian said, the answer is not very simple, so please bear with me.

There are a lot of factors that affect resource usage for StarMade, besides player count. Some of the most frequent are (in no particular order) world size, ship size and number, planet size, max speed allowed, complex logic, number and output of factories and large builds.

StarMade works with chunks. Each player on the server activates and loads to memory a certain amount of world chunks and everything that lies inside them, around him, while the rest of your world remains dormant. So in essence memory usage depends on both the active players and the world.

For example, if the planet size is set too large, when a player visits a planet, the server is using up more resources, than when a player is in a chunk with no planets. Under the same logic, a player with a huge ship full of turrets, will use more resources than another player in a moderate sized ship.

As you can understand, more players=more active chunks=more resources. In a fully grown world, each player will be using on average more resources per chunk than in a new world.

Providing realistic RAM recommendations is almost impossible, due to so many factors involved. Especially with StarMade, being in alpha, and with features still being added, removed and tweaked constantly, such recommendations are almost impossible. Additionally the server overhead should be taken into consideration.

Resource needs vary from server to server even with the same number of players online. Some owners choose moderate settings in their server.conf (such as planet sizes, max speed, factory production, logic complexity), set restrictions on ship size and other complexities that are monitored by moderators and so on. Other choose to not bother with such micro-management and just throw more resources into their servers.

What we chose is to provide flexible plans so you can adjust your plan to your specific server needs. You get customisable player slots as well as easy and instant plan upgrades and downgrades. When you need more resources you can instantly upgrade your plan. When you downgrade your plan, you get pro-rated credit for the remainder of your billing period. This way you can truly make a plan that suits your server at any point of its life, while not overpaying per slot when your server is just starting out.

As a rule of thumb, we suggest a minimum of 1GB for StarMade servers and recommend 2GB. However keep in mind that we've had clients on 1GB or even 512MB servers for months with no issues and also clients on 8GB plans.

If you have any more questions, we'll be happy to answer them, either here, or through a ticket and live chat on our website.

P.S. Thank you Phocian for your vote of confidence. Your reply was right to the point. Always happy having clients willing to help the StarMade community. Hope you are having a ton of fun with your server!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Phocian, TheSmelter, thank you both for your answer. I believe I understand it a little better now.

Reactions: stellallets
    Reaction score
    Hmm. Three words: Quality Of Service. Over the course of my server hosting adventure I have used pretty much most of the most popular services out there - the Smelter, from what it looks is the last one. Not because it was last on the list, but because it is so damn good I see no reason to ever change it. Both of the servers I host [Starmade and Minecraft] are running smoothly, I have not had any trouble with them so far and when I do have a question their support is super responsive - Out of like five or six questions I had asked, all were answered professionally and clearly after like minutes. That's it - I asked a question, went to grab a tea, refreshed my mail and the answer was already there.

I'm very glad I have found The Smelter and I would totally recommend it to anyone looking for a good host for their game server, over any other service out there. Keep up the great work guys!

Reaction score
    To start until signing up with TheSmelter I had never had such a service. I had gone through the search process and information gathering and decided to give them a try. To date I have not had a single issue going into my third month of service.
    I decided to sign up so my friends and I could have a no hassle server to play on anytime and it has worked out great. I went with the 4 gig premium service for 4 players and 2 casual builders and have not had a problem. None of us build 1km monsters ,but decent 400m'ish and less with no issue.
    For my first host service I'm exceptionally happy with how everything has been going. If you're on the fence if you want a server or not ,or unsure who to go with I'll say TheSmelter has been a good choice for me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    The power update is already available on our system!

Get a new server with 0.200.311 pre-installed, or update your existing server right now!

Reactions: SkylordLuke