The_Owl's Ships.

Reaction score
    Everyone starts somewhere.

Try using slabs to put some detail on the top and sides, the bonus of this is you can hide system blocks under the slabs to pad your score a little

Reaction score
    I would also go for just random structures - "access hatches", random protrusions (see Star Destroyers on any picture search ever for ideas about random boxy structures) and room-looking sections that appear to house people, weapons emplacements (even for fixed, forward-firing weapons, make it look like a bunker or something, low-lying but still obvious), random grills, dips, "shield stuff", "other technical randomness", "wings or assorted stuff absolutely pointless in space", turrets, scanner antennae, radar/radio dishes, docking bays/ports/USD ports/docks-to-temporarily-attach-a-ship-to-the-hull, and anything else you can possibly come up with. Pipes, tubing, and tanks are favorites of the community, and are pulled off in every way from garish and overly bright and cheerful to realistic-looking.
    I've even seem gigantic ammo belts for, apparently, MASSIVE C-C weapons ... lol. Those ... they're interesting.
    I've seen engine decorations from the absurd to the amazing to the beautiful, but all of them have their own appeals.
    Experiment around. Detail can't hurt, but in this game, nice sleek lines usually don't go too well. It's just the blocks, I think, something about it just doesn't fit sleek shapes.
    But hey, if you make it work, do it. It's a nice start - better than my correctly named "Mining Monstrosity". Can anybody say "Systems Cube"?

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    Yeah, i know about details. this ship already has a WIP 2.0 version ready with more details on the side and improvements to power and thrust, which i will try to release after yesterday. I've use tanks and vents and pipes before in a fleet submission, but my time is sucked up by revision and work on a battleship.

Reactions: jontyfreack
    Reaction score
    Everyone started with ships that were ... meh ...

So yeah don't worry, just keep it up and you'll progress ! :)

Reaction score
    Definitely has more shapes than the first one, so yeah there is progress ! :)

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    well, it's been a while, and many random, unfinished projects later, i have
    20160705113053_1.jpg
    the finished frigate, an almost finished cruiser, a mining drone and a thing.
    20160705113102_1.jpg
    these 2 things (ignore large ship top left) 20160705113114_1.jpg this ugly thing that is finished and i dislike quite a bit 20160705112904_1.jpg and this, which is my current project, and is not even close to being finished.

More pictures: 20160705113021_1.jpg
    20160705113034_1.jpg
    wow this was long.

Reaction score
    Lol, I hit over 10k mass (iirc) on my new large-ship-build and I'm aiming for less than 500m, but it's advanced armor and over 20k blocks, I believe. Don't quote me on these numbers; I'd have to look. The idea is to match and defeat Vaygr's stupid 142k mass monstrosities on LvD.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    First basic go at interior, no detail in yet.
    20160728183630_1.jpg

And a nearly done frame for the engines at the back of the now 1.7km long ship
    20160728183653_1.jpg

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    been a while since i did an update, but game now works and im back from a holiday so i can work on things again!
    anyways, a as-yet-unnamed ship that is nearly finished

has no weapons and systems arn't filled, but the shape is done and all that's needed are weapons, systems, and detail.

also, side on shot of the titan, now at 1700m long and with some new hanger bays built into the side. debating whether to faff with rail doors for them, and what to put in them later on...