The Viability and Usage of implemented "Hacking"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    One important thing to focus on while reading this is that I am writing this from the perspective of creating role playing ships and not super effective war machines that have limited interior and maximum firepower.

The inside of ships is often very controlled and as a person you uses logic systems a lot I had an idea. A possible addition to role playing ships is hacking. This wouldn't be real hacking. More of a fake hacking through logic. The ships themselves would have to be build to be hacked. Essentially, there would be panels and access corridors throughout a ship intended for "maintenance" and in these would be a series of logic blocks. If the player were to connect certain blocks to others they could unlock a locked out door, Shut off power or lights, or simply do nothing cause they did something wrong.

As of right now I don't think this idea will take off because interior combat never happens. Boarding a ship is not as fun currently as blowing it out of the sky. However could this idea be any "fun". It odiously would not be optimal as your ship must be built to be hacked but could it make some role play ships more interesting to be on, or let people sabotage a ship with out hurting by locking everyone in a room and prevent it from being opened by hacking the panel.

This is all hypothetical right now. After posting this I am going to make a example model of a door with hack-able features, but I wanted to see if others thought this might be a fun and worth while investment.

Thanks,
    The Wozard

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Very interesting concept.

Maybe it can be used to tamper with weapons and other systems too.

Only catch is there should need to be a pilot in the ship for it to work, otherwise there will be greifing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think hacking would be great, as well as electronic warfare to add a new level to PvP combat.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well unless I am mistaken the only way to tamper with weapons would be if the weapons were run through logic. As for shields and power there is no way to turn them off aside from destroying them. Best we can do right now is lights, doors, turrets, and docking.

Maybe if a ship is run through an attached power or shield core that could be disengaged to turn off or lower the power.

EDIT:

Did a bit of testing and power can be sent back along a rail through power supply beams. Shield Supply doesn't work, but if you can disengage all the power in a ship then the shields will drain the reserves and die on their own.

Last edited: