The universe

Reaction score
    Hey people

So the team is working on the universe , what i want to know is what it mean?
    What will be affected by the change , not that i want every detail , just that right now i m building a big station online and i dont really want to spend 20 hours building something that may vanish when the universe is updated.

That s all i want to know
    Thanks.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Hey people

So the team is working on the universe , what i want to know is what it mean?
    What will be affected by the change , not that i want every detail , just that right now i m building a big station online and i dont really want to spend 20 hours building something that may vanish when the universe is updated.

That s all i want to know
    Thanks.
    You will most likely need to cleanly install to get the new universe stuff. Nothing major will change, its just a restructure of the stars into galaxies. You can save your station and load it in again at the proper time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You will most likely need to cleanly install to get the new universe stuff. Nothing major will change, its just a restructure of the stars into galaxies. You can save your station and load it in again at the proper time.
    Errr, I have the feeling that the galaxies are just the beginning... There is all sorts if new terrain in the game that is a WIP, that it is certain that the planet generation will get changed too.
    Oh, and don't forget about the new stations that still need to be added.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I'm really hoping we get something more than just repositioning stars. like maybe astroid belts

Reaction score
    A while ago they talked about alien and other npc.
    I hope we have both invasive monstruous alien(just like the movie alien) but also civilized other species controlling a planet or station and ship of their own.
    I dont know if it s all under the universe update

Reaction score
    I'm more interested in the improved AI. Maybe that'll be part of the universe update. In any case I hope it's coming soon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hopes for the Universe update.
    1. New stations implemented.
    2. Galaxies are large enough but not stupid large.
    3. Planet improvements.
    4. New ai factions. Differing in build style, aggressiveness and danger levels. (or at least the groundwork for this so we can create our own.)
    5. Hyperdrive, preferably well balanced.
    6. New objects in space, like nebula (which aren't just backdrops) or asteroid fields (a sector type rich in asteroids with extra "specks" of rocks when one moves. ie. space dust )

Although i'd be happy even if we only got one of these, a man can dream right?

Reactions: WaffulMann
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm more interested in the improved AI. Maybe that'll be part of the universe update. In any case I hope it's coming soon.
    I'm fairly certain that thw ainwill get updated, but I don't think it will happen during the universe update. It already is so large.

@karkinosz we will only get ai factions after the ai has been improved and the creatures are implemented (I think, but it makes no sence to add them sooner).

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    6. New objects in space, like nebula (which aren't just backdrops) or asteroid fields (a sector type rich in asteroids with extra "specks" of rocks when one moves. ie. space dust )
    That's something I hadn't thought about which would be a great little subtle addition: additional space dust when near asteroids. Good immersive idea!

And it doesn't need to be limited to the same ole' space dust. Slightly larger chunks could be shown bouncing off the shields. (It would be a client-side effect, so no damage.) A good opportunity for a nice new sound effect. (shields buzzing or crackling slightly from the thousands of simultaneous impacts.)

Attachments

Reaction score
    Errr, I have the feeling that the galaxies are just the beginning... There is all sorts if new terrain in the game that is a WIP, that it is certain that the planet generation will get changed too.
    Oh, and don't forget about the new stations that still need to be added.
    yes this, iv been eagerly awaiting to see what they do with all the colored terrain types that are not implemented yet. its such a tease! and grantees a planet revamp as well. im just wondering what will happen with the current terrain types. will they be used as well (new planet types are added along side current ones) or will they be axed (new planets replace current planets)

and then theres the plethora of celestial phenomena that the devs have confirmed countless times to be in the works, like gas giants, nebula, asteroid feilds, black holes, different star types, ECT.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes this, iv been eagerly awaiting to see what they do with all the colored terrain types that are not implemented yet. its such a tease! and grantees a planet revamp as well. im just wondering what will happen with the current terrain types. will they be used as well (new planet types are added along side current ones) or will they be axed (new planets replace current planets)

and then theres the plethora of celestial phenomena that the devs have confirmed countless times to be in the works, like gas giants, nebula, asteroid feilds, black holes, different star types, ECT.
    Apparently starmade was going to get black holes waaaaaaay back, nut it never did, so I hope that that gives us a bigger chance to get them.

As for the planets, kupu said that he was going to change a whole lot of textures, so you might not recognise them at first.

The terrain types might stay, but the new rocks definitely are and they might even spawn on planets.

I'm personally hoping that they fix the bug in which you can't see the planets atmosphere, because exploring planets by foot will then be a lot more interesting.

Reaction score
    I'm personally hoping that they fix the bug in which you can't see the planets atmosphere, because exploring planets by foot will then be a lot more interesting.
    yes me too. yesterday i was mining a pretty big earth planet (one of the biggest iv had spawn yet, as i turned up the deviation ratio and size) and got caught by its gravity, so while i was on the planets surfact trying to get back out into space (thank god no collision damage was enabled :p ) i had a great view of the landscape. and honestly it was simply beautiful. planets really do look a lot different when your on the surface then looking at it from space. and a large planet size (around 200 or so) is such a perfect size if lag weren't an issue (they will be optimized eventually) that plus a nice atmosphere will make them amazing.

cant wait for planets to become the next big thing :D

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    planets really do look a lot different when your on the surface then looking at it from space.
    That's something which a lot of people (sadly most of the ones that complain about planets) don't realize. It can take a pretty big chunk of time actually walking around an entire large planet, and lots of them have really nice landscapes too, especially the larger ones. =)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    But just don't look down. It will lag your computer sadly :(
    Also never, ever, ever log out on a planet. Otherwise you will most likely be in the planet you just were walking on.

Reaction score
    That's something which a lot of people (sadly most of the ones that complain about planets) don't realize. It can take a pretty big chunk of time actually walking around an entire large planet, and lots of them have really nice landscapes too, especially the larger ones. =)
    They do have quite nice landscapes. If only they were lit a bit better...

Reaction score
    I hope we get plants that grow. Just like in MC.
    That would be pretty neat. I would, at least, like to see plants somewhat like MC's saplings that grow into larger structures. Keep in mind they don't have to be earth plants, either - I could see the stuff you find on purple planets growing into quite interesting shapes.