The Universe, how it works

Reaction score
    Ok, now ive done alot of thinking and reading many post with good and bad ideas, in my opinion, and it got me thinking, why is the sm universe so strange, each planet system is a 16 by 16 by 16 chuck of sectors with a sun and many planets. now its my understanding there are void sectors between these systems, but there is currently now way to show this in the minimap, well i think we do have a way we use a 2d rendering of the galactic view and put a dot on it,kinda like real life, now this dot dont show you the up or down just where your at in relation to the galactic core, which is a place you cant go, for its a giant black hole and kills on contact

now that also got me thinking about galaxies, galaxies are large, many stars and many planets, but maybe each galaxy can be made up of 250 to 500 planet and void sector systems, and then be seperated by a galactic void systems, now at this point im probley lost me marbles, but you get the point, space is vast, and this game has a focus on expolration and factions and pvp, we have the pirates and factions, but there needs to be a little reality in the game as far as what things render as, and it might just help if we had less clumped together.

kev

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like sectors with dynamic size.

Calculation-stuff:

If you have a 2D-plane with a triangle (3 points connected) and you put a forth point there, you will either get a new one or split the existing into two.

The same thing works in 3D. 4 points connected create a tetra. A fifth point either creates a new one with the closest 3 or splits an existing into two. (The point (E) opposite from a point (A) compared to a plane through (B,C,D) is invisible to A)

If you are inside a triangle/tetra, this is your sector. and you have 3/4 directly adjacent triangular/tetra-sectors.

If you have such a tetra-grid of all obects, you don\'t even need to sort everything into sectors, you could just load neighbour objects close enough, and their neighbours until you exceed your scanner range.

Just avoid double IDs with a ID-number sorted Linked list and a Linked-List between about every 16th or 32 entry for a faster walkthrough.

With such dynamically sized sectors, we are not so hardcoded.

• Sectors could have ANY size, because you can make any shape out of triangles.

• We could even have something like slipstream-entrances, which are 5th neighbours, neighbour by transition to inverse scale (+x size becomes -x size. You scale down to a zero-point and this zero-point scales up to your ship size in the parallel sector), or a warp into another dimension (the 5th-neighbour sector).

Possible, because loading objects is handled by neighbours and their distance through neighbourhood, not by absolute coordinates.

Though ships would still be voxel-based, because it is easier to do collision checks and desing on voxels.

Now I am a bit curious, if schema wants a voxel-based game because of how you design ships, or because everything should be cubes?

This was a very interesting thought from myself, maybe I do some simple program with this. Not a complete game right now ofc :)