The Status Block: The missing link between logic and display blocks

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Not really sure how to begin this post, so I'll just get straight to the point. The idea is, there would be a new block (here referred to rather awkwardly as a Status Block) that is toggleable on and off. It has three text fields:
    • One line to name the block, which would become the label you use to refer to the block when you put it into display blocks. For instance, if you named a status block "Derp" you would put [Derp] into the display block.
    • One text box for the text that a status block would output when it is on.
    • One text box for the text that a status block would output when it's off.
      (One field could also be left blank, for reasons I'll explain below.)
    ...Then, when you put the assigned [name] of the block into a display block, it would display text matching the current state of the block. For instance, if I wanted a status readout for deployable armour, I would hook a status block up to the deployment switch, with its ON text being 'ACTIVE' and its OFF text being 'READY FOR DEPLOYMENT'. I could then type into the display block something like:

Armour Plate Status:
    [ArmPlate]

If I wanted, I could also use a clock and stuff to check if the armour is still alive... In this case, I would remove the ON text from the first status block, then have two separate status blocks, both with only on-state text hooked up to some other logic so that they would read "ACTIVE" or "COMPROMISED". Then I could write:

Armour Plate Status:
    [ArmPlate][ArmDpl][ArmDed]

And since the three only come up when their logic blocks are set up right, it'll only show one readout. It would appear like this:

Stowed:

Armour Plate Status:
    READY FOR DEPLOYMENT

Deployed:

Armour Plate Status:
    ACTIVE

Broken/detached/bugged:

Armour Plate Status:
    COMPROMISED

...Ideally, it would be possible to even put a variable inside the format line. So, I could have a status block named StatColour with ON-state as #FF0000 and OFF-state as #FFFFFF, and then another named AlertStatus with ON-state as "RED" and OFF-state as "N/A" and then do this:

<style>c=[StatColour]</style>
    ALERT STATUS [AlertStatus]

And then when the status block is turned on, the text turns red - possibly for a red-alert function or some such thing:

Alert off:

ALERT STATUS N/A

Alert on:

ALERT STATUS RED

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nice. I like this a lot. Could be very useful for making functional indicators for ship bridges.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Totally agree. Screens have so big potential...
    Oh and btw something like google glasses where You can display text while wearing would also be cool :D

Something like:

<left-top>Base shield: [shield entity="homeBase01"]</left-top>

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Totally agree. Screens have so big potential...
    Oh and btw something like google glasses where You can display text while wearing would also be cool :D

Something like:

I want custom HUDs too (Maybe the ability to design a custom HUD for your ships... A unique Aethi yellow-and-brown HUD would be cool) but I don't think this is the way to do it...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I want custom HUDs too (Maybe the ability to design a custom HUD for your ships... A unique Aethi yellow-and-brown HUD would be cool) but I don't think this is the way to do it...
    It would be good way. I posted something similiar to HTML/CSS languages that are in use in making websities. Belive me I did many.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It would be good way. I posted something similiar to HTML/CSS languages that are in use in making websities. Belive me I did many.
    No, I have a basic understanding of how CSS/HTML works... But I don't really like relying too much on code in a game setting. I'd rather be able to put in, color, and scale predefined parts, TBH, as lame and clumsy as that would be, than have to learn HTML to do something in a game. :\

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No, I have a basic understanding of how CSS/HTML works... But I don't really like relying too much on code in a game setting. I'd rather be able to put in, color, and scale predefined parts, TBH, as lame and clumsy as that would be, than have to learn HTML to do something in a game. :\
    I didn't posted HTML code. I tried to post something more intuitive than it.

Isn't that intuitive?
    Show in left-top corner: "Base Shield:" text and value of shield of some makred ship/base.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I didn't posted HTML code. I tried to post something more intuitive than it.

Isn't that intuitive?
    Show in left-top corner: "Base Shield:" text and value of shield of some makred ship/base.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just be able to create text boxes/circles/trapezoids, and format them like display blocks? The variables can just be [shield],[shieldCap],[selectedShield],[selectedShieldCap], etc.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i made a very similar suggestion in this thread a while ago:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/two-logic-enhancements-that-could-add-a-lot-of-possibilties.4538/

it would be wonderful to be able to push sign-data around. i think the facet-adjacent model that the rails system uses could be very useful in setting up source blocks to push data around on logic pulses.

the question perhaps becomes data load and if changes like that are more data per packet than schema wants to commit the game to.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Your suggestion wasn't bad, but it just felt a little awkward to me... You'd end up with a fairly big mess of display blocks to do much of anything. With my system, if someone just wants something with two states - which would be fairly common, I'd imagine - all they need is one block hooked up to their logic, and if they want more, there's no need for tons and tons of display blocks for every single state combination. If I had ta list of several on/off states, under the system you proposed I'd need every single possible configuration as a display (With, say, 5 lines with one boolean each, that becomes a lot of displays o_O). With mine, you'd just need one new block for each boolean state, and if you wanted something other than binary on/off states you'd just need one status block per state.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Bump. We still need more display block features, and not much discussion has been happening regarding those.

Reaction score
    not much discussion has been happening
    ... on this thread, in the recent past. However I agree with Jojomo, display modules are one of the more frequent suggestions, and most ideas have already been tossed around and discussed repeatedly in the past, so it's mostly waiting until Schine get to this point on their to-do list.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This is one of the best suggestions I've seen in awhile. Its pretty easy and it adds a lot to everything. I love it.

Reactions: Ithirahad