The Spaceship Builders of Minecraft

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You know every time i see somebody build a massive spaceship in Minecraft i feel sad for that person. They spent hours probably days and weeks on a Ship that cant even fly, you see that picture below...
    cover-3.png
    There is so much creativity and potential wasted in Minecraft, starmade offers so much and you currently dont have to pay to play. Now im not here to bash on Minecraft or to say Minecraft sucks its a perfectly good game which i myself have wasted many a hour building on, but you can only do so much building houses and castles is great and all but There is truly nothing like Starmade.
    I suggest we all go around to all the Minecraft spaceship videos we can find and tell those people about the wonders of Starmade i hate to see creativity as shown above go to waste...

Reaction score
    And that is why I'm here! I'm used to building in minecraft. Dragons, temples, cities, planets what have you. But starmade is such a larger, more flexable place to build. What with all the slanted blocks and ships actually moving. I don't think it will take long for minecraft shipwrights to pickup starmade. Some of the wonderful ships I have seen suggest that either some miencrafters had already made the switch, or that a large percent of people that play games have incredible skills in design and mimicry.

I agree 100% with luring minecraft shipwrights into starmade. Come to the darkside, we have thrusters! and cookies.

Now if asteroids didn't glitch out of my attempts to tug boat them, I'd be 100% content and be able to build my vision xD I want a star wars quality asteroid belt.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    and this is where we are all happy that smedit is still working for some people.
    Just for fun I took some trees that were imported from WoW and some other game and used those minecraft schematics to get the trees into starmade. The same can easily be done for most ships built in minecraft, of course the ships would need to be a bit cleaned up and they are in need of wedging but the potential of the minecraft build is not wasted

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    and this is where we are all happy that smedit is still working for some people.
    Just for fun I took some trees that were imported from WoW and some other game and used those minecraft schematics to get the trees into starmade. The same can easily be done for most ships built in minecraft, of course the ships would need to be a bit cleaned up and they are in need of wedging but the potential of the minecraft build is not wasted
    SMedit still works for some people?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    SMedit still works for some people?
    Smedit can still generate blueprints in the old format. Bit can't read new ones. It can be used for importing stuff still.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423569647,1423569550][/DOUBLEPOST]I have spoken to a few of the guys on minetrek, and they say that they have heard of sm, but it was to buugy when they played.

Pus mc allows them to build replica interiors with huge amounts of detail, something we can't do.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Someone should make a video comparing Minecraft mods that let you fly the ships you make out of blocks with Star-Made, it would be kinda funny.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    There is truly nothing like Starmade.
    Oh this isn't true

Corneroids, Space Engineers, Blockade Runner, they're all different shades of the same color. Whether or not schema wants to make something of the game is his own perogative

therimmer96

Reaction score
    A small consolation prize if you ask me.
    That depends, we build because we want to use the ships, they're building because they enjoy the building side of it more.

It could be argued they even have more building tools than we do with mods. Plus they can force server wide texture packs so that the ships look perfect.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i remember getting into minecraft cuz i wanted to build a massive floating base and make it look like a spaceship.

I remember quite vividly my first world and how my spaceship base turned into a floating square made out of cobblestone rather than a cool looking metal ship. Good times

with Starmade i finally do that and have it useful. Now all we need to some farming mechanics and this game will completely overtake minecraft

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Oh this isn't true

Corneroids, Space Engineers, Blockade Runner, they're all different shades of the same color. Whether or not schema wants to make something of the game is his own perogative
    I second that sentiment. It's funny how different but similar the games can be. (RIP Corneroids)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have spoken to a few of the guys on minetrek, and they say that they have heard of sm, but it was to buugy when they played.

Pus mc allows them to build replica interiors with huge amounts of detail, something we can't do.
    Starmade does have a lot of options when it comes to decorations.

It could be argued they even have more building tools than we do with mods. Plus they can force server wide texture packs so that the ships look perfect.
    Many of those mods add functions Starmade has by default in advanced build mode.

Reactions: IG-1000
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    When it comes to Mods in Minecraft i say screw that i can never figure out how to make em work...

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Starmade does have a lot of options when it comes to decorations.
    Thats what I thought, then I took a stroll around minetrek.net for inspiration, and the level of detail they can get with things like stairs, slabs, skull heads and fences is amazing. I was seriously stunned,

Many of those mods add functions Starmade has by default in advanced build mode.
    World edit. sure, we have build helper, but it is full of artifacts.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423618192,1423618148][/DOUBLEPOST]
    When it comes to Mods in Minecraft i say screw that i can never figure out how to make em work...
    so because you cant get mods to work, other people are wasting time in minecraft? huh.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sven_The_Slayer said:
    I'm sorry but while ABM does have some nice features, it is painfully lacking when compared with Minecraft's WorldEdit mod.
    The "wand" method that WorldEdit uses to select and modify areas is several orders of magnitude faster and more intuitive than SM's X/Y/Z method.

Things that WorldEdit has that ABM Doesn't:
    -Expand/Contract (Without persistent selections the ABM workaround to do this is a huge time sink, since you cant always see the area from all angles to make sure it encompass everything you need it to).
    -Inset/Outset
    -ReplaceNear (Can do this in < 5 seconds in WorldEdit, but it can take several minutes to do the same thing in ABM)
    -Overlay
    -Walls/Outline/Hollow (Loads of uses for these in StarMade)
    -Smooth/Deform
    -Move (Would make moving your core a lot simpler than the methods you have to use now. Just move your whole/half/quarter of your ship around it, instead of copy/removing/pasting manageable chunks for what could be hours)
    -Stack (Again, this can be achieved with copy pasting, but that makes a task that could take a few seconds and blows it up into minutes)
    -Generate (this is just cool)
    -cyl/hcyl
    -Sphere/hSphere
    -Pyramid/hPyramid
    -Fill/FillR

While a lot of these things can be achieved in ABM, (replace near, and some of the shape builders for example) they require way more time and lots of trial and error to do. And all of these features, in WorldEdit and in StarMade, are here to save time.
    If there was just a wand type area selection system (hell, a persistent selection system of any description would be a huge improvement) and a Stack tool in ABM, it would cut tens of hours off of my big builds.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I had thought we established that Starmade and Minecraft were different games long ago, and that trying to compare them was pointless. Both have their perks and the best you can do is show them Starmade as another option, in case of more people like Crimson that really just wanted to build ships in space (I found MC space mods to be kinda... eh).

Things that WorldEdit has that ABM Doesn't:
    -Expand/Contract (Without persistent selections the ABM workaround to do this is a huge time sink, since you cant always see the area from all angles to make sure it encompass everything you need it to).
    -Inset/Outset
    -ReplaceNear (Can do this in < 5 seconds in WorldEdit, but it can take several minutes to do the same thing in ABM)
    -Overlay
    -Walls/Outline/Hollow (Loads of uses for these in StarMade)
    -Smooth/Deform
    -Move (Would make moving your core a lot simpler than the methods you have to use now. Just move your whole/half/quarter of your ship around it, instead of copy/removing/pasting manageable chunks for what could be hours)
    -Stack (Again, this can be achieved with copy pasting, but that makes a task that could take a few seconds and blows it up into minutes)
    -Generate (this is just cool)
    -cyl/hcyl
    -Sphere/hSphere
    -Pyramid/hPyramid
    -Fill/FillR
    We used to have SMedit to do stuff like that, but comparability broke in an update and you can only import now, but it is still there. Maybe once Starmade gets to the point where we can have mods/more stable 3rd party tools, we can start comparing mods, but the Original idea was comparing Vanilla Minecraft and Vanilla Starmade I believe. If the argument is worldedit is easy to install, Starmade is also easy to downgrade and use SMedit, cause all you need to import is the shell.