The sounds of silence

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score
    We've seen threads about new blocks for sounds, threads about needing updates for sounds, a block that emits sound for this reason. Yet none of them solve the real issue. Diversity in sounds of space.

My suggestion is rather than going through each block and adding sounds. Create a drop down list by category. Where the player can choose the noise his engines make, choose his reactor ambience, choose the laser sound, etc.

Simply make it a tab in the build mode panel, you'll select the sound you want the block to make before placing it and wallah. If a block links together it uses the first placed sound selected.

While sound may seem like such a small issue its integral to immersion of gameplay. I know we have some pianist here that would be glad to help

MilitantCollective

Ares Initiative Dev
    Reaction score
    It's even more apparent how bad starmade needs sound with its competition implementing sounds that make the feeling of piloting absolutely amazing

Reactions: klawxx
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Rather then having a drop down and a list of sounds I think it would be better to have a new set of logic blocks for this purpose. These blocks would be able to be linked with logic blocks allowing the player to have an alarm go off after a certain % of health is missing or when a external airlock is opened. I would think that would be better then allowing the player to change the sounds of current blocks. If you were on someone else's ship and you hear a pew you know that's probably the ship shooting but if players can edit noises a block makes then who knows what that pew noise was.

Reactions: klawxx and MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Or go with the configurable audio block and just make that logic-compatible. 1 block instead of... more. Logic rigs eat up so much space already; they're worse than computers in the 60s.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Or go with the configurable audio block and just make that logic-compatible. 1 block instead of... more. Logic rigs eat up so much space already; they're worse than computers in the 60s.
    That sounds way better! I like your idea more with using a single block with multiple sound choices.

yeah would definitely improve the immersion
    made this many years ago to try to fake it a bit :P

Wow that sounds epic! Would love to see these sounds mixed with these effects ~

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just connect display blocks to rosegarden (the free alternative to fruity loops).
    Cache sound files every time a display block with "[audiodata]xx" changes.

Because this probably won't happen, do something close enough.

If it's too difficult, enable client-side sound lists.
    if possible, add a mod-option for timing/cancel options or sending events to a sound-handler script modded by the community.

Can totally see pirate ships using different sounds.

But the sound-files shouldn't get too large if it's individual per ship.
    They can be larger if players choose to install these separately or if defined by a few letters in display blocks - possibly as parameters for how sound is modded before it's played or to create some sound patterns from a shader-equivalent.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That sounds way better! I like your idea more with using a single block with multiple sound choices.

how were you able to do that? did you have a bunch of people jump in at once?

Reactions: klawxx

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's even more apparent how bad starmade needs sound with its competition implementing sounds that make the feeling of piloting absolutely amazing
    Well in all due fairness, sound really is nothing but window dressing, its far more important to make the game function than it is to make it sound pretty.

But, given that they said its quite possible we're going to Beta after the universe update, we're likely to get sound as part of said update.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well in all due fairness, sound really is nothing but window dressing, its far more important to make the game function than it is to make it sound pretty.

But, given that they said its quite possible we're going to Beta after the universe update, we're likely to get sound as part of said update.
    agreed, sounds is super important for immersion, even more important than visuals in my opinion. But that being said, core features are more important atm.

Reaction score

I think the frameshift drive sounds are way too much. Really would just like some kind of jump-out and jump-in sound that's harsh and short.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It depends how often it is used.

Multicharge with countdown from 5.._..3..2..1..0 plus "warning temperature critical" etc is too much.
    That fits an experimental build, ship for making records or a titan, not the average small shuttle.

But the sound for the actual jump is something I really like on ships where comfort isn't part of the primary design aspect.