The problems I've run into Starmade as a game so far

Reaction score
    So, I just want to start off by saying that I am one of those survivalists. I hate having ANYTHING handed to me. I don't play Creative, and I like to earn what I've built. So, this is more so concerned about the Survival aspect of Starmade & servers at the moment. I don't play solo either as it feels way too empty. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to post this in GD as the Dev's could take this as a suggestion as to what needs fixing/changing in the survival aspect of Starmade so far, as well as servers.

1) The voting System
    So, starmade has had a server page for quite a long time now. It's been there as long as I can remember. As of right now though, I don't really feel it's necessary to be there anymore. This web page alone blurs the line between survival and creative servers since servers are a tad bit abusive to get as many votes as possible, rewarding any player that votes for their server ranging from millions of credits to an abundance of useful blocks. With the addition of the server list through the Starmade launcher, I think it would be feasible to just get rid of this page and let players choose by player count, ping (the usual things to choose a server by) instead of a broken voting system. The rewarding for the voting system just breaks Starmade survival. Let servers reward players however they choose if they're a creative server or something. I can't tell what servers are really creative or survival just because of this (Like Redshift or EE)

2) Networking
    Currently, there seems to be a tie between a problem in all servers, and that's planets. The second someone starts fiddling with a planet, everyone on the server can feel it. This is a real tie breaker when it comes to playing on planets on a server as most servers disallow it because of this, and I can't blame them. However, planets can be important in finding resources for building factories, which is usually the first step in the survival part of Starmade. I've heard most server owners say "find an asteroid instead because they have more anyways", but I still feel that newer players shouldn't be completely restricted from them, but you kinda have to at the moment. I don't know if this is a big problem concerning the networking of Starmade, or if there's a lot more causing lag besides planets, but this is the one I hear the most about. The lag is almost unbearable on the largest servers, and you can't get much done with the lag spikes.

-I was going to list off some more problems, but thankfully, those are the two most important concerning Starmade survival as I know of so far. Right now, when finding servers, it's extremely difficult to find a pure survival server, no rules, but also very little lag/constant server response, high pop and of course no voting system. I find myself having to find a server with one of the 5.

(Note it's been a long time since I've actually been on these forums, so I need to become a bit familiar again, so apologies if I tacked a bit too hard on any of these subjects and they've already been talked about).

Feel free to talk about what you think is a problem with Starmade as a game or a survival game as well.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I see a suggestion on #1 of removing the web page. I don't see a suggestion on #2.

Planets have always been tricky and laggy. After all, it's hard to simulate the universe.

Possible suggestions for server owners: smaller planets (effectively making them multifaceted asteroids)? remove planets? fewer planets?

Can someone with more experience in the CFG files provide the lines where a server admin would affect planet changes?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    By server page, I assume you mean Starmade-servers? That's not owned by Schine I believe, it's 3rd party (or else they would have included the rankings in the launcher server lists, no?) so there's not a whole lot anyone can do about them besides to stop sending people there (I prefer to send them to the community server section of the forums).

The other problem, you'd have to talk to server admins, and/or wait until they are more optimized.

Reaction score
    By server page, I assume you mean Starmade-servers? That's not owned by Schine I believe, it's 3rd party (or else they would have included the rankings in the launcher server lists, no?) so there's not a whole lot anyone can do about them besides to stop sending people there (I prefer to send them to the community server section of the forums).

The other problem, you'd have to talk to server admins, and/or wait until they are more optimized.
    Didn't actually know that, my bad.